Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Head Tilt (Worth a second opinion?)

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! We just rescued a white & black Peruvian she's probably about 1-2 years old. She has head tilt. The woman who fostered her said she's fine. Think it's worth having my Vet take a look at her anyway? Rule out infection or anything like that?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It never hurts to have a vet take a look.

Did the previous owner say how long she has had the tilt? If it's been there a while, it may not be fixable. But it probably won't bother her.

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
No details on the duration just that she has it and she was x-rayed and is fine. (?) But maybe it's worth it to just bring her for a new patient check up soon? I always thought it meant ear infection?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It does usually mean ear infection, but it could be one that she had long ago and is now healed, but the damage to the inner ear has been done.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'd take a new pig for a checkup anyway, so why not have an exotics vet take a look? She's probably fine but it never hurts to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Thanks I'll give our Cavy Vet a call in the morning and see what they think :) I didn't want to seem redundant but just want to make sure she's okay and not in hidden pain or anything.

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: 24 hours after getting her home I found black specs all over her rump, head, and ears. I used cat ear cleaner and mite treatment. I also washed her in cat flea shampoo. What a difference!!! Her bald spots of hair is now showing more hair and her tilt is a little better. I need to retreat her right ear again today. Do you think the poor baby had mites or fleas?? I notified the woman who I got her from. Changed out her fleece cage of course. Checked all my other piggies.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Mites aren't visible, so it was probably fleas or lice (lice are usually white spots, though). You might find this thread helpful -https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice

Though I'm not entirely sure how well it applies to fleas, I'd call your vet and ask. Do you or the person you got her from have any dogs or cats that could have transmitted fleas? It's fairly uncommon for guinea pigs to get them.

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Thank you that is helpful! Her skin, in almost another 24 hours since treating, is so much better. Where she had bald spots I see small hairs now. All the crust is gone. We made her a Vet appointment too since she's a new piggie. It was def tiny black insects along with bald spots and crusty areas. And it appears I killed them all wooohooo!

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Update. Wow what a difference it's amazing. Just by the flea bath, mite treatment, and thoroughly cleaning her ears the head tilt is basically none existent today. Her personality has changed too. She gives me so many kisses and doesn't scream or is scared anymore. My heart is happy. I'm glad I cleaned her up and took care of her

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Wow, that's good to hear! You've definitely taken care of the worst of it but you'll want to treat her again in a week to kill any eggs that escaped the first treatment. I'm glad she's feeling more comfortable now, she must have been so itchy!

Also, if the crusty areas are just dry skin, and not a fungus, you can dab a little bit of coconut oil on them every day to help them heal up.

Jessica Dale

Cavy Slave
Top: The day we got her. Bottom: Right now
IMG_8169.JPG

The poir thing must have been in so much pain!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Oh, she does look much happier. She's very pretty, unfortunately all her hair probably just made it even easier for the parasites to cling on. What a sweet baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.