PDA

View Full Version : URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Not Getting Better?



aesthetic
12-19-16, 12:47 pm
So I got took my sneezing guinea pig to the vet on Friday night and the exotic veterinarian told us she as a mild URI and prescribed her Bactrim for 10 days twice a day. She gave her the first dose on Friday night and I have been giving it to her since--morning and evening. However, I think she is getting worse than getting better. Her sneezing is more pronounced and I can see actual discharge in her nose and her breathing sounds like whistling. My mom is going to call the vet today, but when should I see improvements? I figured within 24-48 hours, but now I am worried. I know that bactrim is a weaker med and my parents (both with a medical background and knowledge) reassured me that bactrim will be fine, but I just want to help her to the best of my abilities. She is eating fine, drinking fine, is active and popcorns around, but she isn't getting better. The only other option I can think of is taking her to the vet and asking for Baytril, but she is only about two months old and I know that it could cause bone abnormalities but would it be better in the long run? I could really use all the help I can get because i'm new to this and I want to give her the best.

bpatters
12-19-16, 01:04 pm
She could be treated with a nebulized anesthetic such as gentamycin, or with doxycycline. Baytril isn't the only option.

Is this an exotic vet? Small animal (dog and cat) vets aren't trained to treat exotic animals.

spy9doc
12-19-16, 01:06 pm
Cavies are so susceptible to a URI and it can cause them to go downhill quickly. My Maya died within 36 hours of the onset. I promptly took her to the Vet, but the antibiotics weren't enough to save her. I don't mean to alarm you, but I wouldn't hesitate to get her back to the Vet......or at least call and confer with her Vet.

spy9doc
12-19-16, 01:07 pm
She could be treated with a nebulized anesthetic such as gentamycin, or with doxycycline.

Did you mean "nebulized antibiotic"?

finnpigg
12-19-16, 01:08 pm
So I got took my sneezing guinea pig to the vet on Friday night and the exotic veterinarian told us she as a mild URI and prescribed her Bactrim for 10 days twice a day. She gave her the first dose on Friday night and I have been giving it to her since--morning and evening. However, I think she is getting worse than getting better. Her sneezing is more pronounced and I can see actual discharge in her nose and her breathing sounds like whistling. My mom is going to call the vet today, but when should I see improvements? I figured within 24-48 hours, but now I am worried. I know that bactrim is a weaker med and my parents (both with a medical background and knowledge) reassured me that bactrim will be fine, but I just want to help her to the best of my abilities. She is eating fine, drinking fine, is active and popcorns around, but she isn't getting better. The only other option I can think of is taking her to the vet and asking for Baytril, but she is only about two months old and I know that it could cause bone abnormalities but would it be better in the long run? I could really use all the help I can get because i'm new to this and I want to give her the best.

You should take her back to the vet, because she obviously isn't getting better. Her breathing problem could lead to eating and drinking problems, and eventually pneumonia/death. That's what I think.

bpatters
12-19-16, 01:17 pm
Did you mean "nebulized antibiotic"?

Yes. Thanks for the catch.

aesthetic
12-19-16, 01:17 pm
Yeah she is an exotic vet

aesthetic
12-19-16, 02:35 pm
Cavies are so susceptible to a URI and it can cause them to go downhill quickly. My Maya died within 36 hours of the onset. I promptly took her to the Vet, but the antibiotics weren't enough to save her. I don't mean to alarm you, but I wouldn't hesitate to get her back to the Vet......or at least call and confer with her Vet.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your Maya. My condolences to you.

My mom called the vet and they told her the vet I saw, who specializes in exotics, is out until Thursday and other vets around my area don't specialize in exotics, so now I'll have to wait or take her to just a small animal doctor.