PDA

View Full Version : Teeth How To Help a Guinea Pig With Broken Teeth?

SkyKimimota
12-15-16, 02:28 pm
Hey guys! As you can tell by the title, I wanted to ask if there's a way to help a guinea with broken teeth?

Nemo wasn't eating well and no matter how hard he tried he couldn't even puncture a piece of cucumber, so I had someone hold him while I looked at his teeth. His bottom front ones were both broken down to the gum and bleeding, so I immediately started reading about broken teeth on the guinea lynx page. His breaking was severely uneven, so yes, I am going to take him to the vet in the near future.

I am really confused how it happened though, Nemo really isn't much of a chewer. Haven't seen him bite anything that hard since I got him, and he gets things like carrots and peppers. Little stinker is crafty lol.

I know they'll heal, but I wanted to know if there's a way to help with the process and make eating easier for him? Like giving him extra vitamin C for a little while? I have a food processor so I am going to see if putting his vegetables in there will help him eat better.

Thanks for any tips!

bpatters
12-15-16, 02:47 pm
Vitamin C probably won't do much for his teeth. You'd only need to give him that if he's severely off his food.

I'm not sure the food processor will do much. Most people have very good luck cutting things in match-stick sized strips and poking them far enough back in the pig's mouth that he catches it with his molars. Then he can usually chew and eat. With leafy stuff, like lettuce, you can roll it up like a cigarette and give it to him.

You may also have to hand feed him his hay for a while. Look for the seed heads in the hay and give those -- they've got more nutrition than the rest of the hay. But don't give them exclusively -- he still needs his hay.