Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cage question

jennifermcoh

Cavy Slave
Hello.
I have a male and a female guinea pig and am going to build them a c&c cage.
I was wondering if I could make 1 large cage, and divide it with the grids in the middle. They would be able to see each other and smell each other. Would the male try to chew his way to her? Or spray? I wouldn't want him to damage his teeth.
Also I was wondering if I needed to get a companion for each of them since they are not caged together?
Thank You

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Yes he will chew and it would be best to get them each their own friend or get him neutered. You can usually house males seperate but next to females without them fighting but they will probably chew some trying to get to the females. It is possible for them to damage their teeth if they chew alot but mild chewing and pulling on the grids is common for some guinea pigs when demanding their daily veggies. If you do house them with a divider in the middle make it 2 grids high because males have climbed or jumped over grids to get to females.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
I would suggest getting him neutered.
Although if you decide against getting him neutered, a companion for each pig would be very much recommended!
If you have two males in a cage with a divider in the middle so the two boars can see/smell and possibly even touch the female/s, there's an extremely high chance they'll start fighting. So if you decide to go with 2 males and 2 females, they'd have to be seperated with more than just a grid divider down the middle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.