Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello kinda sorta new future guinea pig owner

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
hello just signed up have not had a guinea pig in about 10-15 years this was before I knew the little darlings needed to have friends and bigger cages
and encase anybody needs a laugh I signed up for the fourm in a half asleep state and almost fell into the bot trap on the sign up page

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Hi there! How many piggies do you have now?

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
right now 0 as I put future in the description went out job hunting so I will have my own income to get piggies remember we had a long haired black piggy at my grandmas poor girl was living in a glass cage had no idea it was too small then probably would hope to adopt a short black furred girl and maybe another color to make it easy to tell who is who once I get a job and stock it with hidy bags and such then I will find the piggies

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Good to see you are doing research before getting new pigs. Just make sure that you also start a "vet fund" for them and locate an exotic vet near you in case they should need medical care. Good luck with the job hunting and getting any future pigs.

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
yes I think it was the sweeds? who tipped me off to do this research when they passed that law about always owning 2 kinda never thought about it sadly if I had totally would have done something sooner

the way I see it get the cage get the hiding places save up some money for the piggies and their food...planning on avoiding the pet shop but kinda hard to find adoption near me nearest one is outside the reach of the subway so would need to arrange transportation
also you said vet fund what are good numbers to keep in mind? I was also pondering how often I should take them for check ups just like humans go to the doc every few months just to make sure everything is working right

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
does anybody know if it is okay to give piggies things made of yarn? I have a friend who likes to knit and was thinking might see if she wants to make hiding pounces

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, no yarn. It ravels, they'll eat it, and it will cause an intestinal obstruction. Fleece is about the only safe material to put in the cage.

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
okay thanks

Soecara

Cavy Slave
For medical funds it is important to understand how much some things can cost, which can vary wildly vet to vet. In my area just a consultation with my vet it is $60, and that is before any tests or medications. Some diagnostics can be expensive, sometimes just getting an x-ray, which can be necessary for diagnosing some common health complications such as bladder stones or teeth issues, can sometimes cost somewhere from $100 to $250 as just a ballpark figure.

It really depends on how cheap/expensive your exotic vet is that determines how much is a good amount to have set aside. Personally I like having $500 per guinea pig set aside for medical funds, or if you have just one pair I would probably have about $700 per guinea pig set aside. That way if one were to get an illness that required diagnostics then surgery I would have enough on hand to cover it along with any follow up care. If multiple guinea pigs got sick, for example with something contagious like Cervical Lymphadenitis, I would hopefully have enough to cover the medical care for all of them. I find the idea of having more then I strictly need set aside better than the idea of not having enough and not being able to get them the care they need (or better than having to rely on backup methods such as a credit card or loaning money from friends/family).

You don't need to have it all at once, I started with a vet fund of about $150 total (enough to treat 1 guinea pig for a URI at my vet), with my credit card as backup for if something were to occur while my vet fund was not large enough. Then I just started by putting a little bit aside each pay to add into the vet fund until I felt I had enough in the vet fund to cover most situations, now I only start putting money into it after I have used some of the vet fund. I also only touch that fund for vet care, unless otherwise absolutely necessary.

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
thanks for the advice

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
hey do c and c cages have increased stablity issues if I was to mke the entire cage 2 cube sections tall? rather then just the loft? figure would make adding a roof simpler

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at the Photo Galleries. There are hundreds of cages on elevated grids.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I made mine 3 grids tall. I have a very very bad back, so bending over wasn't an option. It's perfectly fine. I also used zip ties as well as the connectors. I haven't posted any pictures since building it, but I will one of these days, really I will.

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
thanks was looking at the gallery have yet to stumble across what I am talking about

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about cutting a square into the coroplast and putting a ramp and making the cage two complete levels, each being like 2x4?

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
no was thinking a loft with a roof but instead of the ceiling dropping down where the loft ends it would just be a high ceiling cage in the rest not entirely sure what I am doing at this point just sent out a few applications for a new job to get money for building the cage

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! I hope you enjoy having cavies as your best friend! Personally i don't have a loft, a 3x4 with a stand though. (I used an idea from the galleries.)

thedarlec

Cavy Gazer
cool you wouldn't happen to have a link? or is it just a standard cage on a stand design? I am thinking of using 2 or 3 layers of stand to boost my piggies up to a better height also from my reading I am finding males don't typicaly get along so is better to get females?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome! I don't believe there is any real difference with the sexes, they will either "mesh" or they wont. But if you do introductions by the book there's no reason why you can't successfully bond males. There will be small re-assertions of dominance throughout their lives, whether they're male or female.
I have 2 boars and couldn't be happier with them, they live together harmoniously, I've never had any problem with aggression and only one day, when they were younger, where one was harassing the other for top dog position.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.