Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brand new, first time piggy mom and I'm worried my family is scaring my little boy

pigs n pitbulls

Cavy Slave
I just got my little boy on 11/11/16 and I already know you need more than one so I'm looking for a buddy for him, but I'm not in too much of a rush because I want him to settle in a little first, he is also getting plenty of love and a little too much attention from my family. I also want it to be a good match, I don't know how well he's gonna handle a friend. From what I know of his history, he's already an adult, he was housed alone most of his life.
I want to adopt next time because my little boy came from a pet store. I just went in to look, I was planning to adopt, but he ran to me, climbed half way into my hand, and I ended up leaving with him. He was super affectionate with me, purring when I pet him and licking my hand so I fell in love.
And even though it's only been a couple days his behavior is changing and I can't help but think that my family has something to do with it. He still purrs when I pet him sometimes, but he's getting more timid. Today was worse than yesterday. Even when I lure him in with a treat first he's running into his house as soon as I pet him. The night I got him and the first day he would practically jump into my hands begging for attention. I've been trying to leave him be to get used to the new cage and new people and the two doggies guarding him. But my family keeps prodding and I'm worried. I know it's only been two days and you need to let them settle in, but my family (mostly my teenage sister) won't leave him alone. They're constantly sticking their hands in his cage and lifting up his house to pet him. I hear him wheeking and when I go look they're chasing the poor thing around his cage to pick him up. And when they aren't picking him up they're just sitting next to or hovering by the cage, which makes the dogs curious so they hover too. I'm just scared that they're gonna traumatize the poor thing.
Can anyone help me with this? My family won't listen when I say to give him some space and think handling him more will get him used to it. Is there anything I can tell them to do to make it more pleasant for the new little boy or is there anything I can do on my end???

muzamylove

Cavy Slave
As strange as it may sound, in my opinion he needs a piggie friend. Guinea pigs feel safer and more confident with other pigs. I've had guinea pigs for 4 yrs ( currently 6 of them) and it's always been a rule.
I'm not quite sure if I understand well. You got him from pet store and he's been always housed alone? Pet store piggies come from breeders who cram together as many piggies as possible.

muzamylove

Cavy Slave
And yes, you should definitely ask your family to let him settle in. He needs some time to adjust and get to know you.

pigs n pitbulls

Cavy Slave
That's what the man at the store told me and he was in his own tiny cage in the store. The man at the store was pretty honest with me saying my little boy was kept separate for as long as he was at the store and that the breeder is a small operation and separated him from the mother and sisters young to avoid inbreeding. He seemed to know what he was talking about when it came to piggies. Even recommending a C&C cage over the ones sold at the store, telling me to make sure he gets vitamin c, and warning me against cedar bedding. And when I asked about a friend for him he told me he wasn't sure how he would get along with the other male piggies at the store because they had never been together, and warned against getting one of the girls because they were his sisters and breeding was dangerous.

muzamylove

Cavy Slave
You were really lucky to speak with a knowledgeable sales person. Can you just separate your piggy from the rest of the family if they're not listening to you? It's sad because this small animal must be terrified, and guinea pigs are extremely sensitive. He needs some peace an quiet.

pigs n pitbulls

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the salesman advising me not to buy more from the store and instead do what is best for the piggies. His cage currently takes up my entire closet. I put the cage in the closet thinking I could put up curtains to give him some privacy out of the box so he can get water without being scared of getting grabbed at. And I gave him a cardboard box with a flap cut into the side to hide in. It's a lot bigger than the other house and I put some hay in with him, but now he's not coming out and I'm worried about him getting enough water.

PigAtHeart

Cavy Slave
Tell your family that your pig needs to get used to you and not see you as the big hand that picks them up, feeds them and cleans their cage. What I did was I put piece of clothing that I had worn for a day to get them used to my smell, a new piggie will help him. Good luck!! ~PigAtHeart

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.