Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petsmart

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Today I want to Petsmart to pick up a litterbox thing for my piggies. When I was there I saw a Petsmart sales person(clerk, whatever) sighning pig forms. I was thinking another family buying pigs when they could adopt:sad: . When I went looking for accsesories I saw a lady with her young son. He had a box, the one that you get when you purchace a animal from them. So I went up to the little boy and I asked him what animal he had, he said a guinea pig. So when I was looking for little couches and things for the cage, the petsmart sales person went up to her and started telling her what to buy.

He told her guinea pigs need alot of vitamin C, whic is true, but the he showed the mother Nutriphase:yuck: and then he showed her vitamin C drops:yuck: ! By then I was going to yell! But I stayed there still looking for things and listening, then they went to the cages. They were all WAY to small, so the mother told her son to pick out one. I was very tempted to walk over there and tell her how the food , drops, cage and all the other crap she had in the cart was bad. But when you think about it, why would she care what a teenager that looks like a kid has to say, when she ha a so called profissinal. So I stayed there. But I said nothing.

I wish people were better informed. I mean really, the lady buoght a pig, when she cuold have saved a life. And those stupid clerks! They really have to stop sayning informatoin that is maybe true, but bad for the pig, reptile, or any other animal that they have.

-Bina

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
Bina: You really should have said something. They may have dismissed you, but then at least you would feel you had tried, and maybe made a difference in that pigger's life. It must have been hard for you though.:sad:

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
I bet the people who work at petsmart don't have a clue about guniea pigs! :mad: They probably are going by their own resources such as their so called logic on guinea pigs. It makes me mad too. I wish that I had the nerve to go up to a petsmart person and tell them they're worng and give them the web adress to this sight! grrrr....

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
I bet the people who work at petsmart don't have a clue about guniea pigs! They probably are going by their own resources such as their so called logic on guinea pigs. It makes me mad too. I wish that I had the nerve to go up to a petsmart person and tell them they're worng and give them the web adress to this sight! grrrr.... :mad: poor little piggers. i fell so sorry for them! It is so dissapointing that they can do things like what you said and not even know that they are killing a guinea pig by doing it!:ashamed:
When i went to petsmart in our town they had abouot 4-5 or6 guinea pigs in one cage. With carefresh in the bottom sept it was covered in poop and stuff They had margrine dish with water that was YELLOW:sick: from pee no doubt. The cage was about 1 and 1/2 grids by 2 grids! for four to six guinea pigs! The pigs all looked somewhat dirty and 1 of them was hardly moving,I figured it was sick, another pig was trying to run around the cage and ending up upsetting another pig that whipped its head around and glared at the poor little fellow! They had two more cages like this exceept the only had about 3 guinea pigs in them. But still. It is such a dissapointment. Think of how the pigs would feel if they knew they could be in a much better home in ahuge cage healthy with lots of food to eat and fresh hay! Sorry my post is so long but I just had to share.

pink_cottonball said:
I bet the people who work at petsmart don't have a clue about guniea pigs! :mad: They probably are going by their own resources such as their so called logic on guinea pigs. It makes me mad too. I wish that I had the nerve to go up to a petsmart person and tell them they're worng and give them the web adress to this sight! grrrr....

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
I agree with your post and I am not just saying this because I work for PetCo. But everyone who has come to my store has told me about how they take our advice more seriously about animals and their care along with the products we recommend more so than the PetsMart down the street.

Even though I am new to owning a GP I am sharing all the information that I have learned here about the C&C cages along with the basic needs of a pig to customers who ask about them or are new to buying one.

Alot of them just thingk that it is an easy pet to take care of and all they need is food, and a cage. :sad: But are soon surprised to hear all the other important things that they need to know.

Where I work we are taught a lot about the animals that we sell and we have such a variety of workers with a different knowledges (either have or currently own various animals) if we don't know the answer we ask another associate who does. This ensures the customer gets the right information.

I for one make it a point to learn as much about the animals as I can just to know what they are and the proper needs are for them in order to make sure they go to the right home.

Thanks guys/gals for your info cause I have had 4 people already check out guineapigcages.com just to learn more about building a bigger cage. At least I am starting them out on the right track. :)

Kittn

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
If you are too shy to walk up and say something then here is what you should do.

Always carry in your purse, pocket, bag, car, etc Guinea Lynx Care Pamphlets. Hand them out like candy to anyone even considering a GP or looking at Gp food or supplies and ALWAYS have them in hand if you need to go into a pet store.

Very likely they will start a conversation with you and you can referance the pamphlet you handed them to teach them proper care.

You can find the Care guides here. Lynx would like you to email her for her permission first but since you are doing this free and trying to help she wouldn't say no.
https://guinealynx.info/pamphlet.html

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Sorry,I didn't mean to affend you Kitrnkarr. :( Besides you work at petco and you yourself simply stated that people relied on you more than petsmart. I have got nothing agains petco but do not entirely agree with some of the things petsmart does. I believe hat you dpread the word about what you know and about this website and am glad to know that there is one more person in the world who cares about guinea pigs and hteir lives. :) Liske I said i have nothing against petco it's just some of the things that petsmart does that dissapoint me. Sorry if I offended you but like I said I believe you and am glad that you are doing your best to stop people from making bad decison when looking to buy or buyiung Guinea Pigs.

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Thats a good idea Voodo! I will email her soon about this.
Thanks to everyone else also!

-Bina

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
I like your idea too VDJ. Smart thinking. next time I am planning on goin to petsmart i'll be sure to check that out first. :)

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
What is her website?

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
I know how you feel, binas_cavys. Today, my boyfriend and I walked into Petsmart and when we were walking by the piggies, we saw a woman (probably about 21 or so) pick one up and say to her boyfriend "Isn't it cute? I want this for Christmas." We didn't say anything (darn it) and just kept walking. I comforted myself later though by remembering that a month ago we walked in and saw the pigs were out of hay. I walked right up and told the cashier. She said "That's wierd. The small animals guy was just there", but there were no signs of hay. Today, we saw hay had been put in their cage. I guess every bit can help.

sunflowergirl

Cavy Slave
It is really akward to walk up to someone and give them advice. I have talked with a couple people who were at my local petsmart looking to buy gp's. I wasn't pushy or in their face and if they say thanks but no thanks I say have a nice day and go about my business..I talked one woman out of buying a gp. I couldn't talk another out of buying a gp but I did talk her out of buying a store cage!One woman didn't want to be bothered and said if she needed help she would ask a salesperson....I felt really bad for any animal she may bring home! I try not to go to petsmart much. Some people are really excited and love to get your input. If I talked to 5 and only 1 would listen I would feel like I made a difference in some way in a gp's life. Alot of people think petstores know everything and if a product is in a petstore it must be safe. I used to think that! Things change people change and one person can make a difference! Don't be afraid because your young! Just be positive and respectful and most people will be all ears.:)

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
pink_cottonball said:
Sorry,I didn't mean to affend you Kitrnkarr. :( Besides you work at petco and you yourself simply stated that people relied on you more than petsmart. I have got nothing agains petco but do not entirely agree with some of the things petsmart does. I believe hat you dpread the word about what you know and about this website and am glad to know that there is one more person in the world who cares about guinea pigs and hteir lives. :) Liske I said i have nothing against petco it's just some of the things that petsmart does that dissapoint me. Sorry if I offended you but like I said I believe you and am glad that you are doing your best to stop people from making bad decison when looking to buy or buyiung Guinea Pigs.

No need to be sorry pink. I wasn't offend one bit. Just taking my stab at PetsMart too. :eek:ptimist: I only use to shop there before PetCo came around cause it was the only store around. Ick..

I too agree that they don't take care of their small animals all that well. The piggies here don't seem to get all the great food ours do. We feed fresh fruit and veggies everyday along with hay. So I think that ours are a wee bit happier.

Some of the associates may not care much since they are young kids looking for a job for money (at least here. Lots of H.S. kids) and from what I was told to get pay raises you need to pass a test. (true or not I am not sure) If that would be the case their would be your answer as to how they are.

Oh well... At least we all have options on where to shop.

Though, I have been to stores on occasions and given my input on stuff with no problems. I just would say excuse but would you like some additional advice. ? Most people would like to here it especially if you are in a Pet Store. It's like one mom/dad sharing stories or hints with another.

Kittn

CavygirlLish

Cavy Slave
Well..considering the fact I work at petsmart..I am going to be upfront and honest. How one petsmart cares for their instore animals doesn't mean all do that. We have certain rules we have to follow but then there are open areas. Until i came into this petsmart I work at..the whole small animal section was a diaster...thankfully its changing for the better. I know at my store I make sure all the critters especially the guinea pigs have unlimited supply of timothy hay, pellets(nutriphase by standards can't change it or I would!),and fresh fruits and veggies..my pet care manger buys whatever veggies I give him a list for that week...and he always directs guinea pig/rat question and interested customers to me and stands behind me 100%. Its very nice to know that I won't get yelled at for giving people the websites they should be going to, and even the business card for my friend's rodent rescue. I always make sure to walk with the people thru the supplies first before deciding fully on one. And I always give them this website and go on about my cavycages and they just (98%) eat it all right up and come back few weeks later happy as can be about building a cavycage and etc. I make sure that if they are determined to buy a store cage that they know that it isn't suited for this pig for much longer then a month at the most and that they really need to invest in the C&C and the nice thing is...Target is right next door :) I hate when I'm not working because I fear for the pigs because I know for a fact that one of the associates who Hates small animals will make sure they get whats worse for them then anything...kills me. And I now had one of my daily customers(she has a bearded dragon so crickets galore), seek me out one day last week and demand me and only me so she could cry on me about her fears for her 5 yr old sow that she just put thru eye surgry to remove a tumor and how she simply can't face getting a new cagemate for this one's and would I please adopt her dear Gigi cage and supplies etc so she knows she is in a happy and safe home..of course I said yes...which sadly the 5 yr old isnt doing too hot after this surgry..sigh. But it does make me feel better as a fellow guinea pig owner to know I am trying to make a difference in both the care of store pigs and future owners...Granted half the time I want to kill these people...0:) Nah..just maim them so they Can't own any animals! Ok sorry..I am off my box now..Just wanted to let my view be heard...and I am banned from 2 petstores here in this city ..because I caused too much of a rukus about their guinea pig care...hehe.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but Petco is worse to me. Their pet mills and distributors are horrible.

Just because Peta let up, doesn't mean they are okay now.

Every pet store gets their animals from backyard breeders and pet mills. It doesn't matter much about the employees or how clean the store or cages are.

Meanwhile shelter animals are dying and rescues are full.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.