Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sorta new to pigs here

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I am Barb. I recently was given two really pretty girl pigs after the previous owner could not keep them after she got a divorce and the kids were split between houses. It was instant love at our house. Our house includes me, my husband (who insists he will not be a part of the pig madness), and 2 boys (6 and 4 years old.) The furry family includes 3 cats and a dog (all rescue). I did not want a guinea pig and I was not looking for a guinea pig, but I only have black and white pets and my friend kept posting pictures of her black and white pigs looking for a home and it was breaking my heart. Her post came up again and somehow my youngest found a picture of my friend and put it on my kitchen counter. This photo was probably 9-12 years old!! I took it as a sign and said I'd take the pigs..... I am now not sure why I did not take them sooner.

As a child, oh 20-25 years ago I had guinea pigs, lots of them. It all started with one, then the school pig came home for the summer and they had babies and I was so in love. I read a ton about them and felt that I was very knowledgeable about them. I know I do not remember it all clearly now, but I can say things have changed so much!!!!!

The girls came in larger store bought cage, which seems too small. And they were on carefresh which quickly tracked all over my house and caused instant insanity. I've switched them to fleece and towels/uhaul but it's just layered in there until I can build their new house.

Tomorrow my cubes are delivered and I will pick up my corrugated plastic from home depot. I am quite excited. Today I scored some fabulous deals at Joanns and I have a very busy weekend of sewing.

I'd love to hear you thoughts on lofts/second stories; yes or no? And why? Is it hard to clean under them?

What did you do with your C&C cage that you loved? or hated?

I plan to make a 2x6 or 2x4 possibly with a loft. It needs to have a lid too. I will need to clean it from the narrow end at the far side as it will slide nicely into a recessed wall in the house. What design seems to make sense to you the most?

Here are my girls and my biggest boy :)
IMG_20161007_191727248.jpg

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
Great links! Thanks for the info.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the family!!!! Your babies are adorable, what are their names? I have a black and white abby as well, her name is Sweet Pea. She's extremely skittish, but a sweetie!!!

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
The Chibi and Oreo are their names. They are so sweet. I spent my last two mornings buying cubes, corrugated plastic, zip ties, fleece etc... guess what I get to do this weekend?:eek:

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
This was my fleece haul from joann's. I found a bunch of remnants for 75% off!!!! All in widths wide enough for my cage, if not twice :) I did splurge on one print that was just 50% and then 25% off :)
IMG_20161103_115229025.jpg

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
I was exceptionally worried about my big fur babies and their reaction to the pigs. I was so worried they'd try to eat them as they want to eat the wild bunnies in our area. They have been so fantastic. The dog thinks they are her babies I think and she lets them lick and nibble her nose. The cats are cat like, but mostly indifferent or curious. The one in the picture, Hammy, is a "tom" cat by personality, he's fixed, but stubborn, busy and the boss in the house... as you can see he is good with them.
IMG_20161014_221928039.jpgIMG_20161014_222053398.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just watch the dog, especially. She may be fine while the pig is calm, but if it gets startled and darts away, her prey drive may kick in with very poor results for the pig.

barfpig

Cavy Gazer
Oh, absolutely, we watch them all carefully!!!! The cage has a lid, and the pigs are only on the floor as long as I am standing there and the other pets are off doing their own thing. They are what they are. I am just so relived that they are showing good behavior so far. I was worried they want to play with them. I suspect my dog thinks they are puppies. But I don't know, for sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.