Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Organic Standards

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I knew I had this email laying around somewhere...
For those of us that partake of organic products, this is sad news. You almost have to wonder why we pay so much extra in the price if we have the weakest organic standards!

Congress has amended the Organic Food Production act to allow food additives and processing aids such as chemical stabilizers in organic foods, without public review. It has also granted organic food producers the right to continue antibiotic treatment and genetically engineered feeding of young cows prior to their entering organic production, and the emergency substitution of non-organic ingredients for organic ingredients without the public being informed.

The amendment was strongly backed by the Organic Trade Association and opposed by the Organic Consumer's Organization. It leaves the United States with the weakest organic food production standards in the developed world.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Yet another reason it is nice to be Canadian. They are regulating the use of the word "organic" with strict fines if it is misused, and additives and processing aids are not allowed in organic food.

They are also making it illegal to use the words "low carb" to promote products. Health Canada firmly states that we need a healthy amount of carbs in our diet and Atkins style food does not provide that.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I'm so jealous! If only the US had such standards. It's discouraging to pay a premium price for a less-than-premium product.

Don't get me started on the Atkins diet. That man is crazy.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Ugh.. I'm not going to bother getting organic any more! Why bother, when it's still got all that chemcal junk in it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.