Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Passing URI onto new piggy?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
I am getting a new piggy tomorrow (yay!). He is an unneutered boar and will be living in my C&C cage. The C&C cage that I have is going to be split in half between him (and I also am going to adopt him a friend soon to live with him) and my pair of sows. One of my sows (Twix) is currently taking baytril for her respiratory infection. She is about 3 days into her meds (she has to take them for 10). Our vet said that respiratory infections are contagious. She is still living with her friend (Cloud) because they have a very strong bond and the vet and myself both believe that separating them would do more harm than good. So far Cloud does not appear to have received the infection but I am not sure if the new pig is safe from it. Should he continue to live in the pet store cage that he comes with, or is it safe to put him in his half of the cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He needs to be quarantined in a separate room for three weeks to keep him from infecting your existing pigs with any parasites or illnesses that he might have, and to keep them from passing on their illness to him.

Putting a male next to two unneutered females is likely going to drive him absolutely nuts, and I predict lots of bar chewing. I'd put him in a cage somewhere away from the sows.

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Would it help if I put a solid wall such as coroplast or cardboard over the grids that divide the cage so that he can't see them, or will he still be able to tell that they are there? Also, would a 1.5-2 week quarantine be ok? He has a fairly small pet store cage...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The incubation period for most illnesses is 21 days. Quarantining for anything shorter than that increases the risk of disease and/or parasites being shared between the pigs. It's your call, but it's a lot cheaper to treat one sick pig than it is to treat three.

And yes, he'll still know that the ladies are next door.

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Ok. Thanks! Could he be quarantined in a secluded area of the same room that the sows live in?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Also, would it still bother him if he lived across the room from the sows?

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
I believe that he will be neutered, and depending on his personality, I might introduce him to Twix and Cloud.

Chowder17

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.