Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps - what to use?

smokeyandsnuggl

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about using a piece of vinyl gutter for a ramp. I thought it would work out nice since it has the sides already on it and appears to be wide enough. Is this harmful or toxic for the piggies? I'm not even sure it would work but I want to make sure that it won't hurt them before I try it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No one that I know has tried those. I do know most guttering has sharp edges on it. I would look in the photo galleries- ramps and steps- for ideas on making ramps. Bent grids are one of the most common ramps.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
4 inch corrogated drainage tubing works well too. About $4.50 at Home Depot.
You can use PVC pipe too, but its slippery inside so you have to do something to increase traction for them... like non-slip bathtub appliques.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
When I made my ramp I used a cheap piece of wall molding that I found at home depot. It was 1.09 a ft and I had a 4 ft piece. I also got a package of the small tea/coffe cup hooks while I was there. I went home and trimmed the board down to size and I screwed the hooks into the top of the wood. I then glued some rubber shelf liner and presto. Instant ramp. Oh, I stapled with a staple gun coro sides. I used what was left over from my cage bottom. The ramp can be un hooked easily to remove for cage cleaning.

I have a couple of pictures posted in my thread describing my cage. I just posted it tonight.

Good Luck!

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I use bent grids for my ramp.

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
I also used 2 bent grids for my ramp there is 9 squares in a grid and i made my bends so that it was even (3x3x3) worked perfectly then i put a piece of corplast in the center and wrapped fleece around the whole thing... ill post pictures of my C&C cage soon for my 2 GP's

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I also used bent grids. I bent them in half and put them back to back to make the ramp as long as possible, then I secured them with zip ties. Then on top of the grid I put a strip of coroplast and on top of the coroplast I put that grip stuff that you put on shelves. I got a roll of it for 88cents at Walmart. And it works great!

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Bent grids here, too. I bent mine in half, secured with twist ties (So I can take it off during cage cleaning) and laid a piece of coro on top, wrapped the coro with fleece today. I secured the fleece to the coro with clear packing tape on the back where they can't get to it so it does not slide at all. I fineally got Porky UP the dang ramp, I don't want her to slide down it and be traumatized!

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Here is a couple of pics of the grid ramp I made for the piggers.

This is the first picture, this is before using the coroplast and grip paper. This was just some grip paper on bottom and towel on top. Nismo wasn't digging going up this ramp so much:

Then this is just the coroplast with the grip paper on top. He feels a lot safer on this one. So much that I caught him doing laps running up and down the ramp yesterday! lol

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Nismosmama what a fabulous idea with the grip paper! I was reading your post and wondering what on earth you were talking about. The pigtures let me know (padded shelf paper!!) I am thrilled and will use it when we expand our cage. Thanks again.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Ohhhh, what a wonderful idea! That would work wonderfully... they don't nibble on it, do they? I have a roll of that in my cupboards too :) Now I've just got to compare prices between the tubing or another box of grids ;)
in HIS Love,
Marcy

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Grip Paper, what a *brilliant* idea.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Actually vinyl guttering would work well. I looked it over when I was getting ready to build my ramps. I went with the drainage tubing because I could buy it from my local recycle center.

Since that type of guttering is made from vinyl it won't have the sharp edges like metal (avoid the metal gutters - too dangerous). It should be fairly easy to cut and it's pretty cheap. Personally I think it's a good choice.

PiggySlave

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie member in this forum. I just adopted my first pigger Saturday December 10th. Well, actually I had another, but that was 20 years ago, and boy, has everything changed since then. My little piggers name is Krazy Kosmo, named by his rescuer, Emily, at Lovin* Homes. He was named after Kosmo Kramer on the Seinfeld show.

Now to the subject. I have him housed in a C&C Cage with coroplast, and want to expand, and add a ramp. I saw Nismos mama's ramp and like the idea very much. My question is, how do you fasted the coroplast and shelf liner to the grid? If the shelf liner isn't fastened, won't the piggers pull it off?

I have been lurking around for some time now. Long before I got Kosmo, so I could learn as much as possible, about how piggers are kept now. I got cage and all set up before I even started looking for a pigger, but decided I want a second story for him, so I need a ramp. Lots of really neat ideas here.

Thanks.
Kosmosmama

Kriket

Cavy Slave
They probably poked holes in it and secured it with zip ties. I secured my coro ramp with twist ties (like off of bread bags) so that I can remove the ramp to clean the cage. I just make sure that they're covered over with fleece fromj the upper level. Pigs don't even pay attention to how the ramp is help up, so long as they have veggies when they go up it.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I cut the shelf paper big enough so it would wrap around behind the coroplast strip, and I secured it with tape in the back. The coroplast strip doesnt fall off the grid, because its long enough that it touches the bottom of the cage and stays in place. So with the paper secure in the back, the whole ramp is very stable and doesnt move.

Orangiegirl2

Cavy Slave
I am a newbie here but I have had a C&C cage for my little wilson for a long time! I just added a second story loft to his 2 by 3 cage and he loves it. I just used two cubes bent up a bit on each side and linked together tightly with cable ties. Once I had that done, I pierced some small holes in the sides of some carpet that had great little grips on it. ( I bought it by the yard at the hardware store!) I connected the carpet to the ramp with cable ties, and it works great!! My piggy loves to run up and down his new ramp!:cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.