Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying I lost my JuJu after spay no one knows why

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
My year old sow JuJu had Ovarian cyst's. I noticed the symptoms right away and took her to my cavy savvy vet. We had to get her spayed no surprise there. She was in excellant health and was spayed on the 5th. The procedure went great!! No issues or problems. Her ovaries were definatly over-sized and all that but nothing was infected. It was a typical case of ovarian cysts. We brought her home that afternoon she was sore and groggy but OK. She started looking a little rough many hours later but it was almost time for her pain medication. She was most likely in pain I have that to her and she perked up. She started eating even..then I went to bed. I checked on her in the morning she looked tired and not happy but I figured all of her meds from the surgery had worn off. I held her gently for a little bit and tried to get her to eat. She was OK but out of it, I had never had a guinea spayed before so it seemed normal. I cleaned up her incision a little it had poop on it and some hay. I just used a warm washcloth it wasn't that bad just a little bit. She squeaked at me a couple times. Then I put her back but she didn't seem to move to much which I thought was a little odd. I figured she was sore she was still alert just didn't wanna move much. I Kept checking on her a couple hours later I rushed her to the vet. She had become out of it not very alert she was breathing rough too. It was like she was no longer there when I looked into her eyes. The vets took her in right away abd dud everything they could. There wasn't any bleeding or fluid where her uterys had been everything about the surgery still looked great. They gave her meds and fluid, calcium. Etc. Took blood tests but we still lost her a couple hours later. My vet was so upset when she told us she saud there was nothing she could have dine different during the surgery. There was no complications nothing. My heart is broken and I keep blaming myself for not noticing right away and stuff. Has this happened to anybody else or does anyone have any ideas about what happened. Now my other older Guinea has lumps under his armpit. I knew he had a little one and I was keeping an eye on it. Then JuJu had gotten sick not to long after I discovered his lump. I kinda forgot about it then I checked him last night. It had gotten bigger and little ones had formed next to it. So he sees the vet Thursday which will be a week after JuJu died. I think he has Lymphnode cysts, infection something like that. So I'm heartbroken over JuJu and terrified about my other piggy being suck. Plus JuJu's cagemate is so sad and I'm not anywheres ready to get a new cagemate for her She seems to be having a hard time dealing with the lose of juju... My piddy Kiwi that has the lumps is not related to Juju..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost your cavy.

The only things I see that might have gone wrong are a reaction to the pain medication, or insufficient food after the surgery. Guinea pigs are wired to require food going through their gut at all times, and a guinea pig that's not eating is a guinea pig that's dying. Force-reeding her might have helped, but no one knows for sure. The only way to know what happened wuld be to have had a necropsy done.

For future reference, it will be much easier to read and follow your posts if you'll break them up into paragraphs.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
What a sad story, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's so unfair that you now have another sick piggy to deal with so soon after losing JuJu. I hope his ailment is treatable and he recovers quickly.
Sending all good vibes your way. Run free at the bridge little JuJu. <3

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for you loss and hope your other piggy is recovering.

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
Yay!! My Kiwi is OK his lumps are fatty lumps. My Vet checked them and again just to make sure. She had been anxious for the past two days.
About seeing us again a week after JuJu passed.She didn't want us to have another really sick piggy
She was also upset about not being able to save JuJu.
I love my vet! She is so sweet and loves Guinea Pig's. Whew I'm so happy Kiwi is OK. I lost 5 piggies a few years back. They we're all related and had a genetic problem. I lost all five in less then three years. I was devestated!!
I am still pretty upset about losing my sweet JuJu. My Guineas mean so much to me. Everyone around me thinks I'm silly for spending so much money on them. They just don't understand!! They also don't get why I'm so torn up about losing JuJu.
Well, I suppose my close family members understand.My kid's and hubby are upset too. ❤

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
I broke this post into paragraphs but it all kinds slammed back together when I posted it.. Sorry

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
I broke this post into paragraphs but it all kind of slammed back together when I posted it.. Sorry

Yay!! My Kiwi is OK his lumps are fatty lumps. My Vet checked them and again just to make sure. She had been anxious for the past two days.
About seeing us again a week after JuJu passed.She didn't want us to have another really sick piggy
She was also upset about not being able to save JuJu.
I love my vet! She is so sweet and loves Guinea Pig's. Whew I'm so happy Kiwi is OK. I lost 5 piggies a few years back. They we're all related and had a genetic problem. I lost all five in less then three years. I was devestated!!
I am still pretty upset about losing my sweet JuJu. My Guineas mean so much to me. Everyone around me thinks I'm silly for spending so much money on them. They just don't understand!! They also don't get why I'm so torn up about losing JuJu.
Well, I suppose my close family members understand.My kid's and hubby are upset too. ❤

rhiogan

Cavy Slave

rhiogan

Cavy Slave
364b915ec0a6845e598e2fbaa09442a5.jpg

R.I.P JuJu

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.