Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelving cage but more cost effective?

CavygirlLish

Cavy Slave
Hey there guys. I have been pondering on how I am going to get this shelving cage idea done so I can move my room around easier and get it cleaned. But I am having issues with the money it takes for the shelving unit. My question is... will these grids..held together with cableties..work for 4-5 levels..?? I am not real keen on it unless they will in fact hold..because if they will..well..I am going to save me some money. I know they are strong enough support wise for multi level cages but I'm talking about actual full cages with bedding and coroplast too..plus 2 pigs per level...and all the extras.. Hmmm.. I am open to anyone's ideas :) Thanks

t&ds mum

Cavy Slave
I had enough trouble building a one level cage:crazy: so I can't advise about what you had in mind - would it be hard to clean? Maybe you could find some second-hand shelving? Like if someone is selling some they no longer want, that could be a lot cheaper. Good luck.

JennG

Cavy Slave
My last cage before I revised to an L shaped cage, was 3 levels; a 2x6 w/ a 2x2 on one side connected by a ramp to the other 2x2 and the third level was a 2x4. I found it harder to keep clean. There were a few areas that were very hard to get to and I used fleece. I love my L shaped cage. It's very large and easy to clean. Of course, I can't move it. If you build a multi-level cage, I'd suggest using zip/cable ties to secure it as well as the connectors. My very first one I only used the connectors and when I moved it, it fell apart. When I put the zip ties on, it gave it alot more stability.

CavygirlLish

Cavy Slave
well I decided to give it a try..not like I don't have extra grids..I think ive bought over 10 boxes over the past few yrs...and thats not counting the rabbit cage ones,and both the 2x5's...hehe..I started on the base today..its very sturdy Im surprised . I decided to (space wise) make 2x4's.. 3 levels...which will all be used :) Thankfully my boys love each other(brothers) so a 2x4 to them is heaven. Any other males and id have it bigger but alas..I am spoiled with these two. But yeah...Ive started on the cage..we shall see...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.