Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Possible impatction/double poops

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok i have two male guinea pigs. They get plenty of fresh water and always have timothy hay and oxbow pellets.
I notice that both of them will prolapse their buts when they fight or stutter at each other.
One of the piggy's strains for a second to poo then strains again and a quite squeek and double poops come out. No blood in stool. Nice looking turds. No foul odor. The number of poops a day is plentiful. How should i be cleaning their buts and genitial area? They are both 7 months old.
As for veggies : 3 times a day Romain lettuce. once or twice a week a slice of apple or orange.

They are active as usual. I couldnt tell if anything is wrong or not. They are both within range of weight for their age. Nice shiny coats.

I was thinking about going to the vet for blood test ,fecal test,urine test,and culture.
For both guinea pigs with initial exam iam looking around 500$. Im wondering how much asparin i need to take now.

any advice would be great ! :)

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Ok im just being sure. I get worried. Thank you so much for the quick reply :)

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Hello. What i did find in one of my guinea pigs but after i gently pressed the edges was built up bedding and poop. After removing it all noticed he has a little black scab i think. Should i use iodine to prevent infection? What should i use to treat the scab? Thanks:)

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much !

What about using mineral oil?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Watch the video link I gave you.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
Today when checking their paper bag play house the urine that has been dried left over a lot of white powdery substance. Ive been feeding them lots of Romain lettuce. Which food should i witch to so they dont have as much calcium. The white stuff isnt gritty just powdery.

thank you again :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe I gave you links to read on guinea pig care. Look back through your earlier posts and see if you can't find them, because there's a whole long list of what they can have, and when, and how often.

We don't worry too much about calcium in the urine in young pigs, because they're still growing and their bodies need it for bones. But they're at the age where you should start cutting back. No alfalfa pellets or hay. No high calcium veggies (the list is at https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List).

Romaine and cilantro can cause a lot of urinary calcium in some pigs, but not in others, and no one knows why. If your pigs show dried white urine spots when they're eating those, it's better to take them off them completely. Use red or green leaf lettuce instead.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
No alfalfa hay. What about timothy hay right? I wen ahead and ordered KMS pellets instead of using Oxbow.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, timothy hay. Both KMS and the new Oxbow timothy pellets are fine.

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
I posted a question on my other thread asking about the fleece with built in Uhaul matt. The 2x6 one. Will i need to pick up for fleece? Or is the liner good enough. Often should i wash the cage fleece liner for urine? ill vacuum 2x per day for the turds

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.