Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie Owners From Georgia!

BabyNemo

Cavy Gazer
Hello, My name is Shay and my boyfriend's name is Chris. We are both 18 and 19 years old and planning to get our first pet(s) together tomorrow morning. We are most likely getting two females. Where we are going only has females and I think that females might be easier to handle? We are not sure, though.
I've been doing research all week and I'm continuing to do research right now.
Thank you and hello everyone!
:D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome! And thanks for doing your research. Here's some good reading before you ever get your pigs:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

You sound as if you're going to purchase pigs. PLEASE don't do that. Pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, with parasites, and with the baby sows pregnant. To keep from participating in the whole breeding mill catastrophe, please look for pigs at a rescue or shelter. Not only will give a pig in need a good home, but you'll free up that rescue slot for another pig that needs it.

Also, don't get suckered into buying a pet store cage. They're barely large enough for one pig, and not nearly large enough for two. Look at the Cages forum here for more info on cages, and at the Photo Galleries for ideas.

BabyNemo

Cavy Gazer
I looked at the section about cages and the cages my LPS carries meet the minimums. We can always build a c&c cage when we buy our own house early next year. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can make a C&C cheaper than you can buy a pet store cage.

BabyNemo

Cavy Gazer
It's not about price. It's about space. If I was going to make a c&c cage I would want to make it huge. I currently have a rabbit with a c&c cage and she takes up at least halfway of my animal room. :)

Also, the c&c cage I built for my rabbit cost me well over 100 dollars. Those grids are extremely hard to find around where I live.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
You can make a C&C cheaper than you can buy a pet store cage.

I agree, and they really super easy to put together.

I spent $26 on grids, $17 on coroplast and $ 10 on tape and zip ties

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.