PDA

View Full Version : Cage Potty pads? How often to change?

Tgrady
09-29-16, 01:20 pm
I've gotten into using fleece bedding, and the piggies seem to love it! I've read that you're supposed to use something underneath to absorb moisture. Until now I've been using their regular bedding underneath the fleece just to use it up.
Now I have potty training pads, but I'm not sure how often to change them. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CavyTV
09-29-16, 07:49 pm
It really just depends on your pigs. If they pee a lot on one pad, then obviously you will have to change it. Your guinea pigs might not even want to do their business directly on the pads. Mine poop and pee all over the place (annoying, I know, but you just have to accept it). If they really do use the potty pods (aw, I'd be so jealous! :)) then maybe you should change them every 3-4 days. It's your call, really.

CavyTV
09-29-16, 07:55 pm
If you really want a specific amount of time, then try out the pads at first and see how much your piggies pee/poop on them. If they do, see how long they last without smelling. When they start to smell, replace them with clean ones.

miniver
09-30-16, 09:10 am
When I used training pads I would cut some into quarters. I would put full pads to cover the whole cage bottom but I would put a quarter-pad under the water bottle and in the areas that they peed/pooped most often. I would change the quarter-pads out daily and leave the rest of the cage for up to a week. I found it saved me a lot of money.

This assumes you have fleece on top of all the pads. I wouldn't cut a pad open if the guinea pig could get at it. In fact, I stopped using them because I had one sow dig them out and make a meal of them.

Tgrady
09-30-16, 11:32 am
This assumes you have fleece on top of all the pads. I wouldn't cut a pad open if the guinea pig could get at it. In fact, I stopped using them because I had one sow dig them out and make a meal of them.

Well fudge. I've only put them under one pig so far (the other is visiting my bf), and she digs under the fleece to get at it! I've given her other things to chew and it seems to have slowed her craving :p

miniver
09-30-16, 12:50 pm
They crinkle when they walk across the pads. I think the noise makes them curious and then they have to taste them to see if they are food.

Tgrady
09-30-16, 01:16 pm
They crinkle when they walk across the pads. I think the noise makes them curious and then they have to taste them to see if they are food.

I think she goes a bit farther than just "tasting" haha

scoottie
09-30-16, 01:36 pm
You could try uhaul pads

ayuazami
09-30-16, 03:07 pm
Normally, every 2 days' time, I'll change the pads. I didn't wait until the pad is fully wet, but only I change it for cleanness. I don't want their cage to smell bad. All my guinea pig love to dig down off the fleece, and they really like the texture of the pads as their sleeping area. Maybe more smoother than the fleece, I guess. But lucky me, they never try to eat the pads.

spy9doc
09-30-16, 03:59 pm
Puppy pads are my boys' favorite "forbidden food". :ohmy: Those little beady eyes can spot the tinest edge of blue plastic OR the white pad. I have to be very clever at camouflaging them when I put them in the cage under the fleece or under the towels for laptime.

Guinea Pig Papa
10-01-16, 09:06 am
Haha, Pooper and Sly generally don't bother with them as I put them under three layers of fleece. Sly has gone tunneling once or twice but always gets under the bottom layer of towels because I fold the edges of the fleece under everything and even though he's a damn clever pig he hasn't figured out that trick yet. Whenever I've caught him tuneling he always looks at me with eyes that say, "What'd I do?"