Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Pig Owner Here!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I just "rescued" a bonded pair of female piggies this past weekend. I am a huge animal advocate and have always loved all kinds of creatures, but have never had the pleasure of owning guinea pigs before. My girls, Emily and Sparkle, have their first vet appointment on Thursday morning. Are there any specific questions I should make sure I ask the doctor?

Thanks for having me!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the info @bpatters. I have attempted to determine the sex of them a few times since bringing them home on Saturday and they do both appear to be female. My concern is that one of them may already be pregnant due to where they were living before in a home with a herd of mixed sexes not separated.

I have no idea how old they are or what to call their colors. They seem healthy (lots of eating and drinking going on, no eye or nose discharge and active). The earliest I could get them into the exotic vet is Thursday. I am also working on getting them a larger cage. The one we have now is just over minimum suggested size for the two girls.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Thanks again. I will have to get a food scale tomorrow to start weighing them. The cat scale we have doesn't register her (our 20 year old cat just passed away from kidney disease :()

also, here are some pictures of the girls.

Emily.jpgsparkles.jpg

Emily is first and then sparkles. Any idea what colors to call them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They both look like TSW's to me -- tortoise shell and white. Also known as tri-color.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the family!!!! Your piggies are adorable!!!!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
@koalamissy thanks :) I can't wait to get to know you all

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome!! Your girls are lovely. Little Sparkles face is so cute and tiny. lol

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
@lisa325 Thank you so much! I just weighed them and Sparkles weighs 350grams while Emily is a big girl at 680g

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh Emily and Sparkle are cute! Welcome to the forum!

regainguru

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,

I am from Hyderabad, India and i own 2 piggies 1 male of 4 months and 1 female of around 6 months. I kind of rescued them from a shop as i dint plan to have guinea as pets but i had seen them for a long time in a cage in shop so felt sad and bought them very recently but actually i went to pet store to get a Betta fighter fish for my office desk. So i have no idea about raising them but i am following guinealynx site and acting according to it. For now i have created an environment suitable for guinea pigs in my dog cage with shelter, water bowl and food i place bowl outside the cage so i get them outside to have it freely and sometimes the pull up food to their shed so nothing i can do in that and i like animals living outside cages so i keep them outside the cage when i stay at home all the time other than sleeping hours. Its my bedroom so i kind of gets messy sometimes because they poop/pee more than me lol but cleaning takes time but in few days i learned where they do stuff so i placed cardboards and shoe rack shelters to do they business and its kind of worked. Bedding is a crazy stuff because that the more stinky part of the cage and i accidentally dropped my underwear in the cage and piggies a beeding on it and pulled it into their shelter and even after replacing that with new cloth still they are trying to get on it even it stinks, i want to know why and somehow i tried to make near to me while hand feeding and cuddling is not happening as i run back to shelter after hand feed.

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forums

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
So, since I am only supposed to start one thread in the introductions I will put this here.

About 4 days ago we were at the local pet store here (family owned and operated) to pick up special food for our diabetic cat and there were these two precious baby guinea pigs stuffed in an amazon box with duct tape on the top. The owner of the store said someone "returned" them like that. Long story short, they ended up coming home with me. I have promised my husband that I will not take in anymore animals right now. We are at capacity! So the two babies (Finny and Harper) are in quarantine now. So our "herd" is official at 6 females. All have been checked by the vet and confirmed female!

Here are some pictures

any idea what kind of piggy Harper is (she looks like a squirrel) 1024161053.jpg1024161054.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As always, turn 'em over and compare.

Cute pigs!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Super cute piggies. Harper looks like my Cocoa. I think they are American Shorthair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.