Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sup?

Lerpy

Cavy Gazer
Hey guys,

Im new here, my son recently gotten 2 new guinea pigs.
Both females named. Willow and Maya.
Around 9 weeks old.
We got them from 2 separate stores.

They both in the same cage and still very shy.
We only had 1 hidy home in it and we started to notice that Maya was kicking Willow out sometimes so we made a temporary home out of a box for Willow.
So they sleep separately now. They still seem to fight sometimes as Maya sometimes seeks Willow put even in her new little house. Is this normal? Or do we need to do something about this?

Sorry for making my intro right away a question haha.
But it kinda bothers me as we got Maya so Willow had a friend. And not to pick on her :sad:

Welcome!

But you need to do some serious reading on guinea pigs.

All hideys need at least two doors so no pig can get trapped. And no, you can't do anything about it. You could have prevented some of it by doing proper introductions, but it's too late for that now.

If you have a pet store cage, it's not large for two pigs. I'd clean it up and take it back and either buy or make a cubes & coroplast (C&C) cage. See the Main tab for how to make one yourself, or www.guineapigcagesstore.com to buy on precut and ready to assemble.

Here's the recommended reading material for new owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Hey thank you,

The cage we currently have is quite big, plus we can't really go bigger as it takes already a lot of room in our house.
Also it seems it's getting better, they still a bit scared when we take them out and they snuggle in a corner when they out the cage.
They still chase eachother sometimes but were not sure if they are just playing or fighting.
Also another thing is we put fresh veggies in the cage daily, but they never eat any of it and just eat the dry food and the hay we placed in.
We checked the list of what we can give them, and we stick to it.
How come they won't eat it? we really buy everything fresh from the store.

120×60cm
It was the biggest they had.

It's nowhere near big enough for two boars. It's almost certain that you'll wind up with slashed faces and bitten ears if you try to keep two boars in puberty in that cage. If I were you, I'd much rather spend the money on a bigger cage than at the vet.

You can make other cages very cheaply, and save that one for a hospital cage.

They both females. And sadly we do not have more space for a bigger cage.

They both females. And sadly we do not have more space for a bigger cage.

That's the problem I am running into at the moment is space since we have a dog and very limited space that is in the right area for a guinea pig (It was better before the dog) what we are planing to do is build/buy a table that can fit the dog crate below and the guinea pig cage would be built into the top. You could do something like that if you have the time but it would depend on where the cage is since my pig cage is very jury-rigged and probably not the safest at the moment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.