PDA

View Full Version : C&C Alternatives Cage design and questions

guineapigpalace
09-07-16, 08:00 pm
I'm building a homemade cage made out of wood. There will be a coroplast lining all along the inside to protect the wood. I want to have a loft in my cage with a picket fence on the wall that looks over the cage if that makes sense. I was wondering how tall I would have to make the fence as it is to stop them from falling out versus keeping them in. Also how far apart will the pickets need to be for a full grown Guinea pig to avoid getting their heads stuck?

My walls are going to be 10" tall, so how long/ at what angle should ramps in my cage be?

Also if anyone has any ideas for a wood cage or want to share your own, by all means fire away. :)

Saylavi
09-08-16, 06:00 am
The fence should be 8-14" high for an adult piggy, and spaced no less than 1" apart. If you can fit a 1" ball anywhere In the fence it'll be a no-go. Unless you have babies. In which case make it 3/4 inch. The cage ramps shouldn't be over 30 degrees, meaning you'll need about 20-25 inches long.

guineapigpalace
09-08-16, 07:39 am
The fence should be 8-14" high for an adult piggy, and spaced no less than 1" apart. If you can fit a 1" ball anywhere In the fence it'll be a no-go. Unless you have babies. In which case make it 3/4 inch. The cage ramps shouldn't be over 30 degrees, meaning you'll need about 20-25 inches long.

thanks!

guineapigpalace
09-08-16, 04:20 pm
80519 my design on my homemade wooden cage. According to SketchUp, when everything's to scale the bottom level is 18sqf and the top 5sqf. So excited to get started;)

Anria
10-01-16, 11:32 am
Can the top floor count as floor space? I live in South Africa and cannot find a proper sixed cage for 2 piggies and we don't have the c&c materials here. I'm building a second level to the cage I have to give them the required space according to the charts.

spy9doc
10-01-16, 03:09 pm
With regard to a ramp, all my ramps are 28-29" long. I made a thread about making your own ramp:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/76294-making-reinforced-coroplast-ramp.html

Insofar as the top floor as added space, most people say that it doesn't count. I'm not one of them. I have only one location that is suitable in all regards for a cage and the space accommodates a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft. My boys get far more exercise running up and down the ramp that they ever would running laps. I would love to have a huge cage, but sometimes you just have to make do with the space that you have.