Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Midwest as a travel cage?

miniver

Cavy Slave
Does anyone use a Midwest cage as a temporary cage when they travel? How easy are they to transport, set up and fold up? I currently have c&c grids folded accordion style to travel. I use fleece with puppy pads on top of a vinyl table cloth as a base. It just seems like such a production to set it up when I get to where I'm going, even if I'm going to be there a week.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
The midwest panels wiggle a lot, and the base is only that canvas, personally I would not use it as a travel cage because I don't like how the bottom would wiggle and move, but if it fits in your car and if you have a way to make the bottom more solid it would probably be good

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
They are very easy to set up. The walls are essentially C&C grids and the canvas bottom has velcro straps that attach to the wall panels so it is one unit. The canvas is completely waterproof.

The cage isn't the strongest and is quite flimsy but it would do fine on the floor if there weren't interested cats or dogs around.

It folds up nicely, you can fit it in a thim box and it doesn't take long to set up.

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
The canvas is completely waterproof.

I would disagree with the above statement about Midwest cages. I have used them in the past with fleece bedding on top of carpeting. When my pig's water bottle leaked, the carpet underneath got soaked. This eventually led to a mold problem. If its temporary, I guess it doesn't matter, but I am completely unwilling to risk mold around my pigs.

*Keep in mind, I live in South Florida, and the problem occurred while living in an old rental with faulty AC. This may have contributed to the problem, but I'd still take extra water-proofing steps if you live in a humid environment.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
The Midwest canvas bottom is treated with a waterproof coating which can wear off over time. You can re-treat it after a year (with something like duck back which is slippery or something like an outdoor fabric sealer) but most of those are semi-toxic and would need constant re-doing. If I were using them permanently I would put Coro in them

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I used Midwest cages for over two years with fleece liners and never had any moisture issues. Mine stayed completely waterproof, absolutely no leaking or any other problems.

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
I used Midwest cages for over two years with fleece liners and never had any moisture issues. Mine stayed completely waterproof, absolutely no leaking or any other problems.

Weird, I must have absurdly bad luck! I had been using two Midwest cages (brand new) for around 4 months while saving money for C&C cages, and by the time I deconstructed the cage to get the C&C, the whole patch of carpet underneath had darkened. I also have had leak issues with C&C cages... but that was when I had my two boys (Peanut & Bean aka the Legume Family) who had a habit of letting water stream out of the bottle while drinking. Maybe it was a fluke *shrugs* I'd still keep an extra liner underneath Midwest if you worry about your carpets.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The liner really needs to go up the sides of the cage a little if you want it truly waterproof. Otherwise, the water can just seep off the edges and ruin the floor.

miniver

Cavy Slave
One of my sows is a very sloppy drinker and the other sow uses the water bottle as a toy when she's bored. I put extra puppy pads under the bottle when we travel.
This may not be the magical solution for me. I think I'll try to simplify the cage liners for my temporary c&c instead of spending the extra money on a Midwest cage.

Thanks for all your input.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.