Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Just got a new Guinea Habitat 2x4 Cage....

Roy Patton

Cavy Slave
so we just got back in about 2 hours ago from a day of random errands.... and long story short we ended up finding a Guinea Habitat 2x4 (not the plus model).

Looking for ideas for a setup.... .... there will eventually be two piggies for the cage, but right now we've got one...

anyone out there post up some pics of your 2x4 w/ no loft idea's......

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Edit: Just realized, I didn't confirm- you did mean you just purchased the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat and not a 2x4 C and C Cage, Correct?

Have you checked out the Midwest Cage Section on the forum yet? There are a lot of great ideas and pictures there. You can find it here: (broken link removed) or by scrolling to the bottom of the cages area to where it say "MW Cages". You could probably also search for midwest cages in the photo gallery.

Here one suggestion for a cage, though. I've always seemed to like the cage in this image.
download1.jpeg

Finally, if you plan on housing 2 piggies in this cage, have you thought about connecting another cage to the one you have now when the time comes? While one Midwest Cage certainly does meet the minimum for two guinea pigs, you (and your piggies) might find one a little too snug. Here they are connected:
329632_10150417522037236_612197235_8511728_1581475772_o.jpg

Of course, its your decision, and your pigs might get along fine in one Midwest Cage.

Hope you and your piggies enjoy their new cage!

Last edited:

Roy Patton

Cavy Slave
thx for the reply...

i was thinking about adding the this dreaded store cage to the end of the of the 2x4 MW Cage use it as the food and hay loft while the large 2x4 is the housing and play area..

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
thx for the reply...

i was thinking about adding the this dreaded store cage to the end of the of the 2x4 MW Cage use it as the food and hay loft while the large 2x4 is the housing and play area..

So you don't confuse people, just call it the midwest cage. A 2x4 is called that because it is 2 grids wide by 4 grids long in a C&C (cubes and coroplast cage.) Newbies may find it quite confusing. Adding the store bought cage is a great idea for the hay and food area, it keeps the mess to that cage. You can make a ramp out of fiddle sticks or just have them jump over. But please have at least one more water bottle in the housing area too.

Do you have a sow or a boar? if you have a boar and get another boar, you may have to add another midwest cage because boars need lots of room, more so over sows. I actually had to change my 2x4s into 3x3 because wider worked better for the one set and I had them as stacked cages. My sweet young brothers became monsters...lol. Kind of reminded me of my sons, two years apart. I was a nervous wreck, my ex husband told them to take it out, if they broke any of mom's stuff he would kill them...lol But that is how adolescent boars are.

Last edited:

Roy Patton

Cavy Slave
i have a sow.... so i plan to get another sow...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.