Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Will my unwell guinea pigs infect the rabbits?

Baelfire2111

Cavy Slave
Hi,

A young family member is having some guinea pigs, the pigs are just recovering from ringworm (and everyone in my whole family knows about this so please don't worry!) and my family members were holding them today.
Everyone washed their hands but nobody has changed their clothes, which is what I usually like to do, as they have only packed so much because they don't live with us. Then my older sister, who is also fully aware of the situation, took my family members out to see her rabbits, who we have had six months. My young family member sat in with the rabbits in the big outdoor run with my sister (in the same clothes) and they did not hold the rabbits but they did stroke them and do some of their food and rearrange the toys.
I have spoken to my sister and she is not worried but I would rather know than sit and wait.

Please could you let me know if there is a risk of infection?

Thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very, very slight. Almost zero.

And even if there is, ringworm is very easy to treat. Just watch for any hair loss, and if so, see https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for how to treat it.

Kensium

Cavy Slave
Ringworm is incredibly contagious. When I was 14, I adopted two sows and one of them had ringworm. It spread throughout my house (4 people, 1 dog) in a matter of days. I was covered in the red blotches and I was miserable for months. I'd separate them and handle the animals infected with ringworm with gloves.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit rude, I don't want anyone going through what I went through. It's a pretty awful condition, even if it isn't dangerous to one's overall health.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pigs are recovering from ringworm, which means it's much less contagious than it was, if at all.

The kids did not hold both the rabbits and the guinea pigs.

Therefore, there is little or no chance of infection.

While it always pays to be cautious, there's absolutely no point in being alarmist about it. IF the rabbits get ringworm, she'll know because she's watching for it, and it can be easily and quickly treated.

Kensium

Cavy Slave
Ah, I must have misread that. My bad!

You can never be too careful, though!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.