Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Chronically Ill Pig

Gooseberry

Cavy Slave
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...Gurgling-while-Breathing-Emergency?highlight=

My poor Goose is only a year old and is currently dealing with her 3rd URI. I've been talking with my vet about what could be causing them because my second pig, Kiwi, has never had a URI and they have been living together all year. He thinks that Goose probably has a weak immune system or poorly developed sinuses that predispose her to infection. I'm inclined to believe him since their cage is always kept dry, as well as dust and odor free.

I just feel so bad for my poor girl. She's recovering pretty well from the most recent URI and is active with no sneezing but she still has a crusty eye so now she's on Vetropolycin eye ointment to clear that up. She's also got a slight head tilt right now but I'm hoping if we get the eye cleared up that will get better as well.

Anyone else have or dealt with chronically ill pigs? Or had a URI that affected they eyes?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mutter, mutter....

Can she reach that eye with her paw? Because if she can't, it may just be accumulated cleaning fluid that she can't use. We often see that in senior pigs who can't get to their eyes because of arthritis or because they can't balance well while they're doing it. Is the crust yellowish and gunky, or more whitish?

Has the vet tried nebulizing a stronger antibiotic for the URI? Like gentamycin? It's much stronger than anything that can be given orally, is well tolerated by the pigs when it's nebulized, and it gets the medicine to where it needs to go -- in the respiratory tract.

Are you seeing an exotic vet?

Gooseberry

Cavy Slave
I guess crust isn't the most accurate word. It's more weepy, with a clear watery discharge that make her fur damp around the eye. And she can reach it when grooming. Also I had never heard of nebulizing before, we certainly haven't tried that. And unfortunately I live in a very rural community so there are no exotics vets near by, but the small animal vet I use has worked with a lot of guinea pigs and is the best I can get right now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's clear and watery, I wouldn't worry too much. Infection tends to be yellowish rather than clear.

It may be due to a blocked tear duct. You can wipe it with a damp cloth, and very very VERY gently massage the corner of the eye. If the duct is blocked, that may open it up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.