PDA

View Full Version : Size Should I upgrade?

Margey
08-22-16, 04:14 am
Hello everyone,
I became a cavy slave not much more then a month ago and I am in need of great advice! I currently own 2 sows (Nelly-tri-colored, Holly-white) in the Midwest guinea habitat, 24"x47". And they seem to fight. A lot. They raise their fur, chatter their teeth, and slink along low to the ground almost (it seems) every time they pass each other. I have even seen mounting a few times. (I am very sure that they are both female. They are both under 2 years old)
I told Sue and Teresa about this point and they think it would be a good idea for me to upgrade to a 2x4 grid cage. Well, after some measuring I found out that a 2x4 cage would be only 9" longer on one side, and 3" longer on the other side. ? Now what I am trying to get advice on are these questions: should I upgrade? Should the girls just learn to love eachother? Will they even notice the larger cage? :confused: I will be grateful for any help, thank you!
~Margey

bpatters
08-22-16, 07:36 am
Pigs always notice larger cages, and really enjoy them. But if you can make it work, I'd do a 2x5 rather than a 2x4.

Do you have a lot of furniture in the cage that cuts down on the floor space? If so, take some or all of it out and replace it with a couple of fleece forests. Anything on the floor of the cage is a barrier they have to go around and increases the risk of one getting into the other's face.

Margey
08-22-16, 02:43 pm
Pigs always notice larger cages, and really enjoy them. But if you can make it work, I'd do a 2x5 rather than a 2x4.

Do you have a lot of furniture in the cage that cuts down on the floor space? If so, take some or all of it out and replace it with a couple of fleece forests. Anything on the floor of the cage is a barrier they have to go around and increases the risk of one getting into the other's face.

Wow thanks ao much for the advice. Well I am afraid that I could not do a 2x5, I would like to though. :) But I will try to remove some things maybe. There are 3 cardboard hidey houses because they fight over houses so those take up some space. Thanks so much! ~Margey

Flowergarden
08-23-16, 07:27 am
It would definitely be worth going to 2x4 as the extra 9" will make it feel much less crowded. Could you perhaps manage wider? 3x4? That would be even better. Make sure all hideys have at least two exits so no Guinea can be trapped by the other one, and make sure there is at least one hidey per Guinea.
Another trick is to make sure that they can get out of sight of one another eg. by putting a fleece "curtain" across half the cage. Or putting a hidey slightly away from the end of the cage with the exits facing away from the middle so they can rest out of sight, but they can still do zoomies around it.
If you can expand, you could also consider adding a neutered male. Guinea pigs live in very heirarchical groups, and nine times out of ten the male will be the dominant, and will sort out all bickering between his wives (just make sure that the neutering took place at least 6 weeks earlier to avoid any possibility of surprises!).

spy9doc
08-23-16, 04:28 pm
Make sure all hideys have at least two exits so no Guinea can be trapped by the other one, and make sure there is at least one hidey per Guinea. .

As an FYI........ guinea pigs are called cavies (plural) or a single cavy A guinea is a slang word for "Italian" or also a type of fowl that people raise like chickens.:rolleyes:

Margey
08-24-16, 03:08 am
Hmm. Okay. I cannot do anything bigger than a 2x4 and I might end up doing that! (not anytime soon though, me and my family have come down with a terrible flu!) But what do you think, is the 24"x47" Midwest cage too small? I have 3 cardboard hideys in there.

bpatters
08-24-16, 07:18 am
It's not really large enough, but if you have to use it, take out one of the hideys. Two pigs don't need three houses if they get along well, and the hideys just take up floor space they need for running.

Flowergarden
08-25-16, 02:02 am
As an FYI........ guinea pigs are called cavies (plural) or a single cavy A guinea is a slang word for "Italian" or also a type of fowl that people raise like chickens.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to cause any offense. I'm from the UK, and we only use the word "guinea" to mean guinea pig or the old coin. The bird is always referred to as a guinea fowl. We don't really use the word cavy in the UK at all, I know the word from American sites like these.

Sorry for for going off topic.

spy9doc
08-25-16, 10:52 am
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to cause any offense. I'm from the UK, and we only use the word "guinea" to mean guinea pig or the old coin. The bird is always referred to as a guinea fowl. We don't really use the word cavy in the UK at all, I know the word from American sites like these.

Absolutely no offense taken. It was just the college professor in me making a clarification.

The term "cavy" comes from the species classification.......Cavia porcellus. You know, I had forgotten about the old coin.

Margey
08-26-16, 08:47 am
It's not really large enough, but if you have to use it, take out one of the hideys. Two pigs don't need three houses if they get along well, and the hideys just take up floor space they need for running.

Well the problem is is that they don't get along really well. They sometimes chatter their teeth when passing each other. And when I clean up under one hidey (:o) the piggie in that hidey can go be in the other open one because there are 3. And the hideys aren't really that big, they are cardboard boxes just big enough to fit one piggie each. If you could show me how to send pictures then I could show you pictures of my cage! ~Margey

bpatters
08-26-16, 09:26 am
When you write an answer to a post, there's an icon on the top of the reply that says "Insert Image" -- third one from the right.

Margey
09-02-16, 03:42 pm
When you write an answer to a post, there's an icon on the top of the reply that says "Insert Image" -- third one from the right.

Well I guess I can't find the button, oh well.

bpatters
09-02-16, 04:12 pm
It's the third button from the right at the top of the box you type your reply in. And FYI, if you hover with your mouse over almost any button on the screen, it will tell you what that button is for.

jaycriae
09-02-16, 05:56 pm
You know, I had forgotten about the old coin.

The old coin is one of the possible explanations for why guinea pigs are called guinea pigs, actually. They used to cost one guinea.

lissie
09-02-16, 09:42 pm
Well I guess I can't find the button, oh well.
Are you posting from your phone? Tapatalk?

Margey
09-03-16, 07:43 am
I was posting from my tablet which I can also take pictures with.

Margey
09-03-16, 07:58 am
804688046980470Thanks for showing me how to post the pictures! Here are 3 pictures of my girls cage, yes they are a fan of cardboard boxes! This is the Midwest guinea habitat.