PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea Essy's Medical Thread

PiggieLove13
08-20-16, 03:14 pm
Hi everyone, I recently got a female 5-7 year old piggy named Essy. I got a 2x4(56 in by 28 in) c&c cage. It also has a hay loft. The two are separated and spend an hour a day together. I noticed today that essy's poo is sort of 'mushed' together and is waterier. I was horrified to see her bottom with pee and some poo stuck to her. I wiped her clean. I am planning on using just towels for her and no fleece so she doesn't stain it. I also doubled the vitamin C dosage to her pellets. Does anyone know what it could be? She is slightly fat. She is drinking & eating fine. She also has been chewing on her 'log' lately, so she seems ok for now.

mdodge
08-20-16, 03:26 pm
It could be from a change in diet what was her diet before you got her?

bpatters
08-20-16, 03:30 pm
You don't have to worry about the fleece being stained. I'd worry far more about her ingesting the towel threads.

What kind of log? Some of those things are glued together with sugar and/or molasses, either of which can cause a GI upset.

The standard procedure when a pig has soft/runny poop is to immediately take them off all fruits and vegetables and feed only hay and pellets for 24-48 hours. If it doesn't clear up by then, or if it gets worse, you need a vet visit.

If it does clear up, then add vegetables back one at a time, 24-48 hours between each new one. That way, if one particular food is causing it, you can tell which one it is and remove it from her diet.

PiggieLove13
08-24-16, 09:19 am
Her diet was timothy hay and oxbow pellets. It cleared up two days after I noticed it. I use Snak Shak logs. I stopped giving her treats for a few days and that did the trick. I'll try added a few at a time again. It was probably a change in her diet. Maybe I fed her a new fruit or veggie? I've given her carrots, some apple, lettuce and a grape slice. She absolutely LOVES carrots. Thanks for the help and sorry I couldn't write back sooner. I've also noticed that her voice is hoarse when she tried to squeak. She gets plenty of water. I heard her sort of 'grunting' when she was breathing. I haven't heard the odd breathing today though. Any thoughts?

bpatters
08-24-16, 09:29 am
Snak Shak logs are extremely sweet, and should be thrown out. Maybe the birds will like them.

Don't overdo carrots or fruit. Her diet, as you've listed it, is too high in sugar. Guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar, as it does not occur at all in their natural diets. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/22156-READ-ME-Cavy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what she can eat and how often.

Is the grunting noise only when she's eating, or at other times? If at other times, she may have an enlarged heart, which an x-ray should show. The symptoms can be managed, although you may have trouble finding a vet who knows how to do it, even among exotic vets.

miniver
08-24-16, 09:31 am
The two are separated and spend an hour a day together.

What is separated? The hayloft and cage or do you have two guinea pigs that are separated?

bpatters
08-24-16, 09:53 am
I missed that. Why are they separated?

PiggieLove13
08-24-16, 10:54 am
They were separated because I was still introducing them and Coco was preventing Essy from getting food. Now they are together and both have places to get away from each other. Coco still likes to mount Essy, and she rumblestrutts too. But I've seen them eat right next to each other and nap together too. I haven't seen any nipping either. :) They could still sniff and see each other because they were in the same cage, just split up.

PiggieLove13
08-24-16, 10:58 am
Snak Shak logs are extremely sweet, and should be thrown out. Maybe the birds will like them.

Don't overdo carrots or fruit. Her diet, as you've listed it, is too high in sugar. Guinea pigs are not engineered to process sugar, as it does not occur at all in their natural diets. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/22156-READ-ME-Cavy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what she can eat and how often.

Is the grunting noise only when she's eating, or at other times? If at other times, she may have an enlarged heart, which an x-ray should show. The symptoms can be managed, although you may have trouble finding a vet who knows how to do it, even among exotic vets.

Ok, I'll throw them out. Is there another chew house or log I could use instead? They really love chewing on it and tunneling through them too.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
The breathing is at other times. I can ask her former owner where she takes her pigs to the vet and see if they can check her out. She only does it when she's resting sometimes or when I pick her up.

bpatters
08-24-16, 11:06 am
I put cardboard boxes in for mine to chew.

Make sure the vet is experienced in exotics care. You'll just waste time and money on a small animal vet.

PiggieLove13
08-24-16, 11:23 am
Ok thanks!

PiggieLove13
08-26-16, 12:25 pm
Hi again, I found a new problem with my new piggy. I noticed small white oval shaped larva on her hair and larger brown ones moving in her hair. I think it is lice, but I'm not certain. (Admins, could you please edit the title to 'Guinea Pig with Lice/Mites!' ? Thanks) I have some Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On I used on my other piggy when she had mange mites. I've never encountered this sort of thing, so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Right now the cage is split into two sections, so Coco(my other piggy) doesn't get lice/mites too. Essy keeps trying to groom and I am trying to stop her from ingesting the invermectin in case it hurts her.

bpatters
08-26-16, 12:39 pm
The other pig has already been thoroughly exposed, and you'll have to treat both of them anyway. You might as well put them back together.

Beophar Spot-On is not strong enough to reliably treat either mites of lice. The top thread in the Medical forum will tell you exactly what to do.

PiggieLove13
08-26-16, 01:19 pm
Ok, thank you

PiggieLove13
08-26-16, 07:46 pm
The Durvet Ivermectin Pour-On for Cattle is out of stock at my Walmart. Could I use a different treatment for dogs, cats, or horses? Is there anything else I can do for her to help her feel more comfortable? I feel bad that she has to deal with so many lice around her ears and eyes. I managed to brush a few out with a special small comb I use for my pigs to remove dirt/dandruff when they go outside. I put one under a microscope and it looked just like a louse. I also put one of the oval white ones under the microscope too. It didn't move and was attached at one end to the hair. Man those things won't let go of any piece of hair they can grab onto!

bpatters
08-26-16, 07:50 pm
Can you try another Walmart? Or a local feed store?

Other types of ivermectin will work, but small tubes/vials of it will treat a 1250 pound animal, so it's very hard not to overdose a three pound guinea pig with it. That liquid stuff is the easiest to use, and the hardest to overdose with. Well, injectable (which isn't injected into pigs) is easy also, but it's way more expensive than the stuff that's normally put on the skin.

PiggieLove13
08-26-16, 08:31 pm
I'll try and do more research. My local Tractor Supply has lots of Ivermectin for pigs, cattle, and horses. I'll see what I can find. Most of the stuff is 50 bucks or more though..

bpatters
08-26-16, 08:33 pm
The stuff from Amazon is about $20.

You can order things from Walmart online and have them delivered to your local store with no shipping charges. It shouldn't take long to get there.

PiggieLove13
12-16-16, 05:43 pm
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've been on this thread, and at least that's a good thing. I think Essy has UTI. It could be bladder stones, but I'll find out when I go to the vet tomorrow. I was doing research, and apparently it's cheaper to do a urinalysis before doing an x-ray. The first symptoms I saw was Essy squeaking while peeing. Then I noticed some blood in her urine. That's when I knew it was bad. Marilyn also has UTI and is on medication. Marilyn doesn't have blood in her urine, but she does squeak when urinating. I have pure and unsweetened cranberry juice I put in their water bottles. I also have Timothy based pellets I feed them, and they eat western timothy by the bale. Unfortunately, they have to stay in the basement. There's no windows, so I am getting them a UV sunlight lamp so they can get Vitamin D. Essy is 5-6 years ild(not sure because I got two of my pigs from a former owner, but I can ask). Just wanted to let you guys know in case you all have any suggestions. She seemed like she was in a lot of pain, so I'm trying to make her comfortable.

bpatters
12-16-16, 06:27 pm
Actually, that's a sign of a bladder stone more so than a UTI, although it could possibly be either. The vet needs to do an x-ray to check for stones.

What exactly does she eat? What brand of pellets, and how many? What veggies, and how many of each?

The cranberry juice may, or may not (the jury is out) help prevent an infection, but will do nothing to treat one that's already there.

PiggieLove13
12-16-16, 10:03 pm
She eats Oxbow western Timothy hay, usually oxbow pellets, but they were out of stock(pretty weird...) so I had to buy Katee premium Timothy fiber diet. She eats mostly romaine lettuce(1/2 a cup at a time) and sometimes a carrot or two(the baby ones, 2-3 times a week). Occasionally I give her a couple slices of cucumber when it's in the fridge(1-2 times a week). Unfortunately my parents are super stuck up and don't want to take me to the vet(I can't drive yet). They say I don't have enough money..people tell me to save up $1,000 for vet bills, but I literally have $2 right now. My parents owe me at least $20 and more for helping around the house. But they don't think it's even worth it to pay $35 dollars for medication(last time my mom spilled over half of the liquid medication all over the car and didn't even pay for more or pay me). I am TRYING to sell photos online(I like photography), but I am waiting for my parents to look at a website. They would rather let my piggies suffer and die than pay a measly $35 dollars for medication. I really dont want to give away my pigs because I can't make money... :'(

bpatters
12-16-16, 10:23 pm
One thing you can do is stop the romaine lettuce. It causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs, although not in others. And it doesn't have any more calcium than the other lettuces. No one knows why, but red or green leaf lettuce is a safer choice.

Kaytee food is poor quality. You need to get her back on the Oxbow as soon as possible.

I think you shouldn't count on just medication at a vet visit. At the very least, this pig needs an x-ray, and possibly an ultrasound.

jaycriae
12-17-16, 02:06 am
If you celebrate Christmas, you could consider asking for vet money as a gift. In addition to cutting out the lettuce, I recommend putting their water through a Brita filter if you have one, or using bottled water- sometimes tap water has other stuff in it that can irritate piggy systems, including calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PiggieLove13
12-17-16, 06:38 pm
If you celebrate Christmas, you could consider asking for vet money as a gift.
I tried that and they said they aren't taking me to the vet. I am serious, they don't care. My mom said "Do you know what your cousins do to their sick animals?" I said "Eat them?" She answered, "They shoot them." I understand that they live on a farm, but it doesn't mean we have to be like them. She would rather Essy suffer and die than 'waste' my money on taking her to the vet. She even wishes that I hadn't bought medicine for Marilyn. She says it's life and that they're just rodents and have no souls. I think they do go to heaven. My mom says she cares about me but apparently she doesn't care about them. She said I shouldn't have gotten them if I can't pay for them. I am selling Christmas cards and I believe that I will get at least $80. Once I have the money, I will show them. I will MAKE them take me or I will bike miles with Essy wrapped in fleece in a carrier to the vet myself. I swear, I would rather suffer and die than have her suffer and die. They are my life, and when one of my pigs died a while back, I changed so much that I can feel the darkness and emptiness without my baby boy Chester. I won't let that happen again. It's getting worse, and I am not letting my stubborn, heartless, and soulless parents stop me.

jaycriae
12-17-16, 09:37 pm
That's really too bad, I'm sorry your parents won't listen. I can tell you love your pigs very much and it's not fair that both you and Essy have to suffer because of your parents' not understanding, and I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PiggieLove13
12-18-16, 06:16 pm
Thanks jaycriae. I checked on her and she didn't drink much water. She probably drank 2 oz in 10 hours, so I've been offering her water and she's been drinking a lot more. I might have to use a syringe to put water into her system. But first I am going to get a mix of lettuce and carrot peelings, spray them with water, and she if she'll eat them. She didn't eat much pellets, but a little bit of hay. I have her in a carrier with some fleece and her favorite stuffy, a comfy blue whale. I think she is losing weight too. She seemed slightly skinnier. She weighed 2.5 lbs a month ago, and now she weighs 2 1/8 lbs. I hope I can take her for a checkup soon, even if it's all I can do...I think I'll snuggle with her and watch some Netflix. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you guys updated on what happens. Also one more thing, I noticed more blood was present in her pigloo. Thanks again guys.

PiggieLove13
12-22-16, 01:35 pm
UPDATE: Essy seems to be doing better. I clean out her cage every day, replace old food and hay, give her fresh filtered water with pure cranberry juice, and wash and change her fleece cozies regularly. I am currently raising money so I can take her to the vet for an x-ray and urinalysis, and if she needs surgery. Here's the link if you would like to check it out or spread the word: [edited] . Thanks for all the support guys!
~PiggieLove13, Coco, Essy, and Marilyn <3

You can'd do gofundme links on here. Sorry.

jaycriae
12-22-16, 02:59 pm
I'm very glad to hear she's doing better, and I hope that trend continues! Good luck to you both.

PiggieLove13
12-30-16, 03:31 pm
UPDATE: Extremely bad news. I think Essy might have malocclusion. She is very weak and cannot hold herself up anymore. Yesterday she was running around and squeaking, this morning she was even eating, drinking, and walked around. I am syringe feeding her with oxbow pellets, some vitamin C drops, and water. I also help flush the mush down with warm water. She can swallow, but it's hard and she's drooling. Her front teeth seem a little long, but not too long to worry too much about. I'm worried about her molars. My parents took me to the vet once to get her Batril and Bene-bac. I just looked down and she's gone....My second pig has died and I don't want to believe it....why?! She was so sweet.... Rest in peace Essy. Go find my boy Chester and tell him I love him. Don't ever forget that I love you Essy. eat some carrots for me. :'(

spy9doc
12-30-16, 05:03 pm
It is so difficult when our fur babies pass over the Rainbow Bridge. Sparky & Chip send wheeks of encouragement and comfort to you.

jaycriae
12-30-16, 05:11 pm
I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds like she had a good life with you, though, and you cared about her very much. At least now she is at peace.

PiggieLove13
12-30-16, 09:00 pm
Thanks guys. I'm making a photo album for her and Chester, who passed away a year ago. I appreciate everyone's support. :)
~PiggieLove13, Coco, Marilyn, Essy(RIP), and Chester(RIP) <3

Guinea Pig Papa
12-31-16, 06:24 am
My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry to hear about Essy. We all know how you feel, And it hurts so terribly. Rest in peace Essy. Ater all you've gone through, you deserve it.

PiggieLove13
01-01-17, 02:54 pm
Guinea Pig Papa, thanks. Now I know how she died. I overdosed her Bene-Bac probiotic. If I had just read the directions on the back instead of just assuming the amount, she would still be alive. I gave her 1 gram a day, but the directions said 1 gram/10 pounds. I feel like such an idiot, I killed her because I was too lazy to make sure of the amount I was giving her. I could have at least read the container or called the vets and asked. With Chester I didn't kill him with something I gave him, but with Essy it's different. Marilyn and Coco don't even seem to notice that she's gone, probably because they dominated over her. I took Essy to Pines Pet Cemetery to cremate her. I also cremated Chester because I thought that once I move to college, I can take them with me and not leave them in some box covered in dirt. The cemetery looked nicer than any human cemetery. Almost every gravestone had some flowers or plants nearby. In the future I won't be so blind. I can literally feel the pain in my heart.

Guinea Pig Papa
01-01-17, 03:09 pm
I am so sorry, PiggieLove13. I can't even imagine how that must feel. My heart seriously hurts for you. I didn't have the option of having Poopy cremated, so he is buried in his own little cemetary in my sideyard where he used to like to sit in the sun and munch grass. I ordered a custom made gravestone for him on eBay. I really didn't want to bury him as I'm dead set against it for my own weird reasons, and it took some convincing from other people to make me realize that he isn't really there. At least I know he is close and I can go and talk to him if I need to. ( And I need to fairly often). His brother Sly will go next to him when he passes with his own gravestone, so that they can be together again. Please, know that Essy is not suffering any more and that has to count for something.

miniver
01-03-17, 12:16 pm
[QUOTE=PiggieLove13;980353 Now I know how she died. I overdosed her Bene-Bac probiotic. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you can overdose with a probiotic. I think it would cause gas, not act like a poison.
I use a human probiotic with my best-guess at the dosage. My stone pig has been on it more than once and has had no side effects.