Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My Guinea's eye keeps closing

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
I just noticed today that my new Guinea Pig, Cookie, right eye keeps closing. Sometimes she will close it half way and then open it again. I just got her on Friday and she is only 4/5 weeks old. I am aware this behavior usually is a sign of an eye injury and I called the vet, and they were booked up until Thursday. Do you think that is too long to wait? I don't want her to get an infection. I'm very scared of this because I used to have a Guinea Pig named Peanut and she died after getting an injury to her eye by her hay. I do not want the same thing to happen to Cookie.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, Thursday is too long to wait. Eye injuries are very painful, and she should be seen sooner.

Almost every time, you should take a guinea pig to an exotic vet. Small animal (dog and cat) vets are not equipped to treat them, and the reputable ones will refuse to even try.

But, eyes are eyes are eyes, and are the one thing that a regular vet should be able to treat. Just don't let them give her any oral antibiotics.

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
I will try to see if I can get her into a different vet place tomorrow morning. I do not want to wait while she's in pain. The last time I went, for the eye treatment they gave my guinea pig an oral treatment and an eye ointment, should I refuse the oral antibiotics if they say she needs them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you go to an exotic vet, you can take the oral antibiotic. If you go to an small animal vet, I'd only take doxycycline or Baytril (enrofloxacin) as oral ABs. Maybe Bactrim, although it's not as effective. But it's sometimes given to very young guinea pigs.

Maybe she's just got hay trapped under her eyelid and not a puncture of the eyeball and won't need antibiotics.

No chance you could get her in today?

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Oh okay, I will make note of those medications. I hope that is the case with her, and unfortunately no, I have work and I don't get out until after the vet closes, and earlier I couldn't take her because my dad has the car

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Update: I just got back from the vet and it turns out Cookie has conjunctivitis and they gave her an eye ointment to treat it

miniver

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear it's nothing too serious. I hope Cookie feels better soon.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Cookie <3

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the kind words!

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I am a little concerned with Cookie again. Tomorrow is her last day for the eye ointment, but her eye doesn't seem to be any better, she still keeps closing it. She seems to be drinking and eating normally, but most of the time she's backed up into the corner of the cage with her fur puffed up, is that normal behavior? I don't know if it's because of her eye or maybe it's because she's still new and scared. Also whenever I pick her up she makes these small squeaking noises that sound like she's crying or in pain, but I figured since she's almost done with the treatment she shouldn't be having anymore pain. I'm thinking of waiting to see if she gets any better a couple days after the treatment, because maybe it needs time to react, and if it doesn't get any better I'm going to try to get her into the vet on Friday. But does this behavior sound normal or should I be worried? I just don't want her to end up like Peanut.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's sitting in a corner with her fur puffed up, she's in pain. I'd try to get her back sooner than Friday.

Also, are you weighing her daily (preferably in the morning before breakfast)? Loss of weight can indicate a more serious problem that needs to be dealt with sooner.

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
I'll see if I can get her in sooner, and how would I weigh her? Is there a special scale I can get?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just need a kitchen scale that weighs up to about five pounds, in both ounces and kilograms. They can be found at Target/Walmart/Bed Bath & Beyond/Amazon/etc for less than $15.

It's the best investment in your pigs' health you'll ever make. Weighing them regularly lets you notice any pattern of loss that could be the first sign of a serious illness.

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Also is her fur being puffed up, a sure sign of pain? i just read up about it some, and it said to watch out for lethargy, not eating or drinking and loss of interest, but she seems to be fine other wise. For example she'll be sitting puffed up in the corner and then after a little while she'll come out and eat some and then she'll get a drink and then go back to the corner and puff up again, also sometimes she'll be puffed up and then she'll randomly start running around her cage really fast and she'll be squeaking and popcorning

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It almost always is, but there are exceptions to every rule. If she's running around, and is eating normally, then maybe she's not in pain. However, the fact that she keeps closing the eye tells me that it hurts.

It's been nearly a week, and if the medicine were going to have helped the conjunctivitis, it should have done so by now.

Guinealover111

Cavy Slave
Update: I took Cookie to the vet and they said her eye looks a lot better and she's healthy

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.