Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating New Piggy Not Eating - Health Issues or Settling In?

CricketPig

Cavy Slave
Hello! I recently "rescued" a male cavy (he was abandoned at a pet store and kept in a back room for almost two months) and he seems healthy overall, but he is very shy. While I expected any new guinea pig to be shy, not quite this shy. It might just be his personality and he might just take some opening up, but he is in his hidey-house whenever I go into his room, and often his food is left untouched. This brings me to why the title is what it is - he barely eats his pellets, doesn't eat much of his hay, and won't normally eat his veggies unless I hand-feed him. Is this him just settling in or is there a bigger issue going on? I can elaborate further if needed. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Probably just settling-in issues.

Put some sort of cover over one end of the cage -- towel, blanket, whatever -- so the eagles flying around in your house can't get him. Put his hidey right next to his water bottle, and his hay, pellets, and veggies just outside the door, all under the eagle shelter. And give him time. It takes some pigs quite a while to settle in.

CricketPig

Cavy Slave
Alright, thank you! I was beginning to worry about a URI since he does sometimes have a little bit of crusting around his eyes and his fur is sometimes a little ruffled, but that might just be me being a worrywart. I'll try what you suggested and see if he improves. Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.