Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Protruding penis issue

• Thread starter Guinea Pig Papa
  • Start date

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My oldest male boar Pooper, who just turned 6 last month, has an issue with his penis protruding. He is not neutered. It will not go in on its own and I have been doing as much research as I can about what to do to help him. Most of the ointments and such that I have found all seem to be in the U.K., which doesn't help me here in Canada. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can purchase to use on him here that would be safe for him? I live in Ontario.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks very much for your help, spy9doc. He unfortunately has never been cleaned until recently (ignorance is no excuse, but it is the problem). He has never had an issue until recently. We started out with our boys on Carefresh but switched to fleece roughly 4 years ago as the younger male had an issue with poop and Carefresh getting stuck in his rump. Sly also is a well endowed pig and he waddles ( I sometimes call him Pajama pig cuz he looks like an adult trying to run in a onesie, if that makes any sense.) This is a new isssue for Poopy and as he is getting up there is age I really need to make sure that he's looked after to the point of obsession. He's also been recently diagnosed with arthritis.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, what type of ointment should I use? I had read abut Bepanthen ointment but it's a U.K. product, so what could I use here in North America that could be considered equivalent? I certainly want to use something that won't hurt him in any way.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At this time, Poopy is NOT being treated with Metacam. So far his veterinarian is declining to give him medication that he feels he may not necessarily need. We had started him on liquid glucosamine which made a big difference, and have since supplemented that with Oxbow's joint support tablets, and they have done him a WORLD of good. He's come a long way in the last 4 weeks and is doing extremely well, and is running around eating plenty and making his usual piggy noises. He still chases his younger brother around their pen and pokes him in the butt every chance he gets. It's just this issue now that is the immediate problem.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So after attempting the cold pack ( I did use a gel pack with a towel between it and Poopy) he absolutely REFUSED to sit anywhere near it. Absolutely forget it. I did buy the ointment and this seems to have done the trick. He now appears to be back to normal and even seems happier, if that makes sense. A little more playful and bouncy. He doesn't popcorn much any more, and he's been trying the last couple of days so I know he's feeling better! Thank you so much for your help, spy9doc! Pooper thanks you too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.