Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet no guinea pig vet near me

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
My family is getting 3 boars soon. I know it is important to be able to take them to a vet but I haven't found a good small animal vet near me. We go out of town just to get to a dog and cat vet so we can't go any further. A few of the vets have done a little with small animals but it is mostly vets for farm animals. How can I make sure the guinea pigs will get good vet care?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then if I were you, I wouldn't get guinea pigs at all. Small animal vet means dog and cat vet, not pocket/exotic pets. They get little to no education in the care of exotics, and some of them are downright dangerous when it comes to guinea pigs.

At some point, your guinea pigs WILL need an exotic vet, and it will be expensive. You'll waste time and money on non-exotic vets if you don't have an exotic vet you can get to, and your pigs will suffer.

Guinea pigs are great pets, but I wouldn't even think of having mine if I didn't have an exotic vet. And I have to drive 30 miles to one, and I live in one of the biggest cities in the country.

Rabbott

Cavy Slave
Good news! I found a vet that does guinea pigs about three hours away.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Echoing what @bpatters said. One of my boars has been in and out of the vet a lot over the last few weeks, and the times I was able to see a vet who really knew guinea pigs were so much more productive than the few times I could not (for example, at the emergency animal hospital). While pigs do not need regular shots/check-ups like dogs and cats, when they need a vet they need one who really knows what to look for. Many vets, even those who say they see GPs are not actually very knowledgeable. Also, keep in mind that vet visits can be very expensive (Usually my visits are around $65 + medication costs, but my boy was very sick and I just paid about $1000 to the vet's office today), so make sure you have a vet fund set up. Will you be willing to drive the 3 hours if your pigs suddenly get sick? If you are, great. But it is definitely something you need to consider.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.