Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to Pigs & in love with Vinnie! :)

Paperpapillon

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm new to guinea pigs but have owned just about every other pet imaginable! I've been looking for a fun/friendly forum to join since I got my first piggie about 6-7 days ago. A little about me first - I'm a veterinary technician and currently have 4 dogs (Papillons & Belgian Malinois), 1 cat, and a bearded dragon. I participate in dog shows (conformation, agility, obedience) and am very active in animal training, behavior, and also medical topics. I really look forward to making friends here because I don't think anyone else would understand how exciting and ADORABLE my little guy is!

Let me get this out of the way....please don't flame me or lecture. I've broken just about every cardinal rule about pig ownership already - First, he's from a petstore, and second, he's a single male young pig. He is a young male Abyssinian (I believe!) who I got from a local family run pet store. The only reason I go in there is because the vet I work for is friends with the owner and sometimes we pick up/exchange supplies, clients, and other things from them. I personally don't support them or buy from them...normally. Last week I stopped in and started walking around the cages trying to pet the pigs while I was waiting for someone. All of them ran/scurried/screamed so I let them be. One little black/white one didn't run - he sniffed my hand while curiously looking up at me, put his little foot on me, and was SO calm. He was in a tiny but clean section all by himself. I was told he was a "bully and didn't get along with anyone." I held him for a while and loved on him and put him back. On my way home from work 2 days later, I stopped there again. Held him some more and tried to talk myself out of supporting a pet store in this way. After talking to my boyfriend and much thought we decided to go for it. The worker brought out a little booklet and showed the supposed breeders names and said they only use a few local breeders that they "know." Supposedly they get the pigs when they are 4 months old....and this guy has been there about a week (bull :unsure:). Isn't 4 months REALLY old to be getting "babies" in? I think she meant 4 weeks. But this guy is much older according to his weight. The only thing I bought there was the pig, and got all his cages and supplies elsewhere. I would like to get him a friend sometime down the road. Right now it's not possible but in the near future I will definitely consider it for his wellbeing.

Now that that's out of the way - I'd love for some friendly advice or tips with this little guy. We decided his name is Vinnie (Vinnie the GUINEA pig...LOL). I can't do a C&C cage although it looks nice. I'm on a limited budget & space because I was out of work for a while with health issues (that I still have) and am only working very part time now. I have a prey driven dog and a curious cat, so I figured the safest option for him was a pre-made sturdy cage. Decided on a "National Geographic" cage designed for a rabbit (and other small animals) because the size was nice and the max that I can have right now. I believe its 40in L x 22in W. It came with a glass water bottle, hay manger, bowl, hidey/ramp thing, and I bought some tunnels, chew toy/kabobs, and made some of my own toys and hides. He's going to be spoiled and loved on, but I've been very slow to do much with him. I want to do it right, and let him get used to his new surroundings and be comfortable. It's a little over a week now, and I talk to him as much as possible, gently pet him, and hold him throughout the day. About 1-2x daily I've been setting up a play area for him on the couch with some of his hides/tunnels/toys and he's really starting to love it! No popcorning yet, but he does get excited and run around like a maniac before settling down again!

Now about his personality - I think he's defective! He has not made one loud wheek, ever. He didn't make ANY noises at all until the 3rd or 4th day, and it was the small talkative little mumbles as he was curiously checking his play area out. He does that from time to time, but never anything louder. So strange! I find it a GOOD thing though LOL. I wanted a quiet, calmer/sweet pig and I think I may have lucked out?! We joke and say I was sold a baby skunk instead...he looks just like one LOL. Also I've noticed he's a really calm pig which I find a little strange. From the beginning he does NOT run like he just saw a ghost when he sees people. He stays pretty calm and still, and lets me reach in to gently pet him or even pick him up. He doesn't even try to run when I go to pick him up....he has maybe a few times but is really good about it. He doesn't seem fearful about much really. I can pet him everywhere, hold him, do his nails, etc. I'm sure freezing can be a fear response but I really don't think it's that. He curiously sniffs the air when the dogs are around (they are kept away so he's not too freaked out by them yet). He takes treats out of my hand. He is a PIG.....he eats anything and everything I've given him so far! He eats very well. He feels a bit skinny to me BUT the only food he had in the store was pellets, nothing else...UGH. He weighs 1.7lbs, 777grams, or 24.7oz. Seems like a pretty big guy, any guesses on age? He was def smaller than the adult pigs they had there, but slightly larger than other babies that looked to be from the same litter as him. I've heard guesses of about 6 months..?

Anyway, I'm so sorry this is so long! I just wanted to cover everything. I'll be posting questions soon but wanted to intro first. I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on what kind of piggie he is (Aby I believe?), if he looks healthy, if his cage setup is acceptable (I know it's not ideal), etc. Any ideas or opinions are welcome. I have TONS of pics and love taking them. You'll see he looks exactly like a baby skunk. Maybe he isn't a piggie at all and I got ripped off...LMAO. I really look forward to making friends on here and sticking around! Trying to find an ACTIVE GP forum has been a bit of a challenge.

-Lauren &
Chloe, Austin, Raven, Enzo, Ava, Ivan & **Vinnie** the silent pig/possible skunk! :eek:
IMG_5078.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

Attachments

IMG_5087.jpg IMG_5093.jpg IMG_5143.jpg

Paperpapillon

Cavy Slave
Well gee, I guess it would help if I said HI my name is Lauren first! LOL ;)

rotto77

Cavy Slave
Hello Andy welcome. My girl was noisy for about a week, and now she's quieter. She weeks at my daughter on occasion. Which is great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rotto77

Cavy Slave
And he is so cute.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners.

Just so you know, in case you ever think you need another pig from a pet store, that they are bred and raised in horrible conditions. And by buying one from a pet store, you adversely affect two others -- the sow that will be kept continually pregnant to maintain the pet store supply of pigs, and the pig that the pet store will order to replace him.

Paperpapillon

Cavy Slave
Just so you know, in case you ever think you need another pig from a pet store, that they are bred and raised in horrible conditions. And by buying one from a pet store, you adversely affect two others -- the sow that will be kept continually pregnant to maintain the pet store supply of pigs, and the pig that the pet store will order to replace him.

Oh trust me I know all about that...which is why I had such a long opening paragraph. My dogs are from responsible breeders and I would never dream of buying an animal of any kind from a petstore. In this case, I totally failed. But I love him.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
My pig, Pudge, didn't start wheeking until we got our 2 Abby's. Now she wheeks every time they do, but you can tell it takes her more effort, like she's putting her heart and soul into the sound. :) So cute!
If I were you, I'd just keep an eye on his weight and overall condition. I only say that because our first piggie came from a pet store and was really calm and so sweet...I didn't realize this was because she was ill. She passed away because I wasn't knowledgeable about pigs and that they hide their illnesses so well. By the time I got her to the vet she went through a costly hospitalization and still didn't survive. I know you mentioned you're a vet tech, so you probably already know what to look for.
Congrats on your new friend. He's adorable!

Cleophauna

Cavy Slave
I can see why you fell for the little guy.. just adorable.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
He is adorable, congratulations on your new family member!

Paperpapillon

Cavy Slave
Now as those of us who have Abys know, they are a talkative breed and I think Chester was mystified that Maya didn't participate in his conversation.

Oh Spy9doc your post made me laugh! I think as he gets more comfortable he will start making more noise. We notice some new sounds almost every day, but never super loud like I've seen others do. I just LOVE the Texels, they are so pretty. I think it's the dog show connoisseur in me LOL.

I love hearing people talk about the characteristics of a certain breed of piggie...it's really interesting to me. Is there anywhere I can read or talk more to Aby owners? I hear little bits of "oh they are louder" or more crazy, but I can't find much online about it. Guess it just comes from experience and owning a lot of piggies. I've heard some people say Vinnie is most likely a mix (because of where he came from) but in everything I've seen he looks exactly like an Aby to me. Obviously I love him either way lol. Anyway, thanks for your warm welcome!

Baelfire2111

Cavy Slave
Hello!

He's so cute :)
He looks like an Abyssinian cross something else because Abys are a proper purebred breed and they need eight rosettes on their bodies in specific places :)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome :). Vinnie sure is a handsome lil' guy :love:

Paperpapillon

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the big reply spydoc! You're very helpful and I love hearing your insight into different breeds :) Now I see what you and others have said, he most likely is a mix. His "siblings" looked more Aby than he did, but he DOES have rosettes on him...multiple rosettes. I'll have to get some better pictures to show what I mean (the hair twirls are the rosettes, right?) I think because my pics are mostly taken in poor lighting it's hard to see and his hair looks straighter.

I'm laughing reading about Chip making noises the whole time hes held! They sound like a bunch of characters lol

GuineaPigMama89

Cavy Gazer
'Possible skunk' Haha! I love Vinnie! It must be so much fun going to veterinary school!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.