PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Open sore/bleeding tumour

Yettilegs
07-17-16, 09:43 am
Hi everyone - I found you by googling and hope you can help.

we are looking after two Guinea pigs whilst the owners are on holiday. One has a large tumour on it's rump. The owners did warn me it had a tumour and that it might bleed. The Guinea pig is fine in itself eating/happy purring noises/drinking etc. It has visited the vets about the tumour and advised that as he is not suffering it's ok.

it has bled quite a lot and I am wondering if there is anything I can/should do. Do I cover it? Shall I buy antiseptic powder? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

bpatters
07-17-16, 11:11 am
Arrgh! Poor pig. Does it look like the top has just been scraped and it's bleeding superficially from the skin, or is there an open wound?

I wouldn't buy antiseptic powder -- too much danger of the pigs ingesting/inhaling it.

If it bleeds a lot and doesn't stop, you'll need to get it to a vet. If it ruptures and exudes pus (cheesy, smelly stuff), you'll need to get it to a vet for draining and antibiotics.

Why, oh why don't people take their pigs to the vet for removal of lumps/tumors?

Yettilegs
07-17-16, 12:14 pm
Arrgh! Poor pig. Does it look like the top has just been scraped and it's bleeding superficially from the skin, or is there an open wound?

I wouldn't buy antiseptic powder -- too much danger of the pigs ingesting/inhaling it.

If it bleeds a lot and doesn't stop, you'll need to get it to a vet. If it ruptures and exudes pus (cheesy, smelly stuff), you'll need to get it to a vet for draining and antibiotics.

Why, oh why don't people take their pigs to the vet for removal of lumps/tumors?

Thank you for your reply.

She did take it to the vets and from memory they said it was too big!
I have been looking after them since Friday - maybe the scab was knocked off when I was driving home. This morning (I am in the UK) it was bleeding quite a lot. To me it looks like a really deep wound and the blood was a constant flow. It has slowed to a near stop. I contacted the owner and asked if I could take it to the vets, she agreed but was worried it would be put to sleep as it is a child's pet. I advised the bleeding had slowed and that I wouldn't allow that as it was not my decision to make and would consult her if I needed to take him to the vets.

i just want him heeled poor little guy it really must hurt. Is there anything I can do to speed up the heeling process?

bpatters
07-17-16, 01:17 pm
No, I'd take him to a really good vet and see if the lump couldn't be removed. Most vets aren't equipped to deal with guinea pigs, so you may have to look around for one with some exotic pet surgical experience.

I don't think there's anything you can do to make things better. He needs good vet care.