Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I need some advice please on my pigs and their home situation and allergies

Cavyspit

Cavy Gazer
Hello. I kinda need your help with something relating with my three sweet girls. I have had them since last christmas when my mom surprised me with them. Now i'm rather upset about it since my pigs live in this tiny pet store cage. I begged my parents for a bigger cage which they got but it was too big to fit in my small room and no one wants them in their area. I have also started showing signs of being allergic to their hay which is a problem. I just don't know what tto do anymore to make their lives better. I need advice. We're also not very rich with my dad paying for everything my pigs need. I would like to get advices on what to do please and no hating i'm doing my best.The pigs also have to have a top on their cage cause i have three dogs and a cat that really want them as a snack.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The possible allergy is your biggest problem. Timothy is usually the culprit. You can pick up some small packages of orchard or meadow grass at a pet store, and rub some on each arm. If you react to the hay, you may have to rehome them if you can' t figure out another alternative. What kind of symptoms are you having?

You can build a cage yourself for very little money. See the Main tab at the top of this page for the general idea, and look at the photo galleries for all the ways that people configure their cages in different spaces. Here's a thread with where you can find the materials.

Cavyspit

Cavy Gazer
Usually wattery eyes and a stuffed nose and i'll check it out thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know how you'd test meadow and orchard grass for that. You'd have to get totally away from the timothy and let your allergies die down, then handle some orchard/meadow grass and see what happens.

Cavyspit

Cavy Gazer
Alright thank you so much

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Many on here (myself included) have issues with Timothy Hay. It even comes into the house and my allergies flare up - itchy watery eyes and congestion. Cleaning out the cage / refilling hay for them and I'm in for a major flare of suffering.

The good news is we switched to orchard grass and the symptoms disappeared.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Weirdly enough, I'm not only allergic to more or less all types of hay/grass (even the stuff in backyards and fields), but also to the guinea pigs themselves as well as many other animals. Wearing sweatshirts that cover my arms and under my neck when handling the guinea pigs cuts down on the amount of hives I get. Be sure to change clothes after you're done handling them. I also time my showers so that I can take one immediately after I'm done caring for and holding them for the day. I also take a lot of allergy pills (two types of prescription ones and two over-the-counters, depending on the time of day and how bad the allergies are). I still have allergies, but they're not as bad as they could be, which is really, really bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.