Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Another pig, another abscess...

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hi you all. Well Elsa has recovered completely from her abscess, but now Anna has one... in the side of her neck. We are going to the vet tomorrow to confirm it is an abscess, and if so, have it lanced. I am very nervous, although I have been through this with Elsa and everything went just fine.
Question: should I carry both girls, so that they are together and hence, less stressed and also to prevent them from fighting when coming back home, with different smeĺls?
Or should I leave Elsa here relaxing and eating her veggies?
Thanks!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always take a buddy to the vet if the pigs are comfortable with each other.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you bpatters. We are back from the vet. I took them both. Abscess has been lanced. Now flushing and antibiotics. Hope for the best.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I know abscesses are like boils and caused by staph, which humans have on their skin all the time. I am just wondering if piggies are the same? I do know they can get abscesses very easy and are some just more susceptible to them like some people that get boils all the time. What did the vet say about you having two pigs that had them?

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
With the abscesses being located around the neck area, I'm wondering if it's cervical lymphadenitis.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
I am also surprised that they both developed abscesses. I had two guinea pigs before Elsa and Anna, and they never had any health issues. The vet asked me how big the cage was, if they fought, if there was anything that could be hurting them. But, they get along great, the cage is huge, and I cannot think of anything that could hurt them. I asked him about cervical lymphadenitis but he said, he did not think so, since quite an amount of puss oozed out when lanced. I just hope this is over soon. I can't help but worry. Anna is eating, drinking and being her usual self. Thanks for your concern!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is this an exotic vet? Because CL is certainly the easiest, most likely explanation for both of them have lumps.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Yes, bpatters, he is and quite renowned here. I drove an hour to get to him. Now, would the treatment be the same if it actually was CL? I mean, lancing and ab?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, treatment would be the same for CL. And CL lumps can actually burst with pus if they get too large, so I can't figure out why he'd say that the pus would make it not likely to be CL. Weird. I think I'd look around for another vet. You might run across a better one.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
And could Elsa now get it again from Anna, or now she has antibodies? This could be never ending....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's possible that they could reinfect each other, but not likely, especially if they're on antibiotics.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you bpatters!!! Hope this is the end!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.