Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Guinea Pig has Biting Lice

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I just joined and my little piggy Wilber has biting lice. I just want some tips as I have never owned a Guinea pig before and I want to make him as comfortable as I can. My vet says the sawdust bedding I had bought was after causing the problem. He said they can't live on human skin and I know myself that lice are species specific. I am worried as I read they can transfer to clothes and I have little cousins over. Should I let other people hold him and should I? I really want to know how long it takes to be killed off. He has had a dosage of Ivermectin I think it's called, from the vet. The vet is hopeful in a week the lice will be gone. Any tips for a rookie? Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The ivermectin is a start, but will need to be repeated two more times, one week apart, to hit all the stages of the life cycle. And no, the bedding is not the problem. Lice require a live host to live.

You can treat yourself with ivermectin cheaper than the vet can do it. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites. It was written for mites, but will work for lice.

Was this an exotic vet? Small animal (dog and cat) vets get very little education in treating exotic pets, and what they get covers everything from gerbils to giraffes. You need to find an exotic vet that you can get to, because if your pet is really ill, you don't want to trust it to a dog and cat vet.

Since you're a new pig owner, here's some reading material:

-- https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
-- https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
-- www.cavyspirit.com
-- the stickies at the tops of the main forums here
-- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...us-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often
-- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
Our vet is more of a cat and dog vet as far as I know. He has training with exotic animals though. What exactly happens to the lice? Where did they come from. When they die will they be in the cage or do we need to brush them out. Thanks for all of the helpful advice. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They'll die from the ivermectin.

If I were you, I'd be looking for an exotic vet.

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
Didn't you say they need ivermectin?

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
So sorry, I read that incorrectly you meant the lice would die. Thank you, I'm so relived.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry. I should have made that clearer.

LeeLeeBee16

Cavy Slave
The vet said to come back tomorrow if Wilber is still scratching. He is a bit but I'm more concerned about the wounds on his back. The vet thinks all of the lice will be killed in a week but I thought I'd rather ask your opinion? We keep washing his things to remove dead lice. Another Guinea pig page recommended sudocream which I put on him. It's made a big difference. Do you think he will be ok or should I bring him back to the vet. He's normally very hyper and playful but is now so quiet and sits on one spot on the floor or in his cage and he seems so down. Is this normal given the situation? I'm doing everything I can to help but I don't know if I'm not even helping Wilber. I feel awful that he got lice.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sudocrem is like diaper ointment, and has a lot of zinc oxide in it. I'd be a little concerned about using it. No doubt he needs something, but cold pressed virgin coconut oil (be sure to get the cold pressed, it's available at any pharmacy/grocery store) will soothe his skin without any damaging ingredients in it.

If he's better, that's a good sign. But you either need to take him back to the vet for the second and third treatments, or do it yourself. You need three treatments, 7-10 days apart, to get all the lice.

He's be happier with a buddy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.