Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi there! Some questions about Guinea pig/cages

riz13

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I just got a male Guinea pig from a pet store, knowing I shouldn't have gotten a "starter cage" and just 1 Guinea pig, I kept telling my dad the facts, but he forced me into getting 1. we wasted $148...

He finally realized I needed two pigs and a bigger ( C&C ) cage. I need a good reason to tell him the money hasn't been wasted, and that building a C&C cage is cheap. The starter cage had a water bottle, chew toy, hay stand, Timothy hay, a suspicious substrate ( we didint use it, I convinced my parents into using aspen ) pellet and a food bowl with a thing that doesn't let itself get flipped over.

So, what is a good reason to persuade my dad that the starter cage can still be useful, well, I don't know if that cage will be useful when I have a C&C.
Say if we get the C&C within a week, should we move our GP right away, or wait? ( we will get another GP after the C&C gets finished and our original gets moved right away. )

In the meantime, I'm trying to tame my 1 guinea pig, any tips? I understand it will be extremely hard to tame just 1 Guinea pig..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What I would do is build the new C&C cage and have it ready for two pigs, but don't put your existing pig in there until after you've done introductions with the new pig.

You can build a C&C cage for almost nothing -- click on the Main tab at the top of this page for general information, and see https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials for where to find the materials. This is an election year, so you should be able to find old coroplast candidate signs for nothing.

You can use the old cage as a hospital/travel/isolation cage if you need it.

riz13

Cavy Slave
D: I just spoke with my dad and he said one pig is enough, so now what do I do :/ ( I live in Canada )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DwarfhamstersandPiggies

Cavy Slave
D: I just spoke with my dad and he said one pig is enough, so now what do I do :/ ( I live in Canada )

say to him that one will be sad on its own
Meaning its kinda unethical

riz13

Cavy Slave
Wait, my Guinea pig is a male, is it still possible to keep 1, or- what will I have to doo D:
About the C&C, my parents are considering it, I think tomorrow we will be going to Walmart, so I will get a C&C ( thank god that's done, I was so stressed doing all that C&C research ) now, I just have to get that other Guinea pig, I will tell him that the Guinea pig will be sad without a friend , anything else?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't get a C&C at Walmart. You can look at that thread I gave you for sources of materials and where to find them, or where to find cage kits.

You can tell your dad that in some European countries, it's illegal to sell a lone guinea pig. You can only do so if you've got another one that alone because it's partner has died, and you're replacing it.

If you do get another, compare their private parts to make sure they're the same. You absolutely do not want to breed them. Pregnancy is very hard on sows and pups, the death rate is high, and so is the likelihood of serious genetic diseases.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Not sure where you're located on Canada but Walmart Canada doesn't sell the proper grids.

You'll need either Canadian Tire, Home Depot or Bed Bath & Beyond online.

riz13

Cavy Slave

riz13

Cavy Slave
:O oh, ok, I'll see if we could go to Canadian tire then.. Thanks all

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Those grids unfortunately are not safe. Some of them have 5 squares across, making the openings too big meaning guinea pigs can get their heads stuck.

You need to find grids that have 9 squares across.

riz13

Cavy Slave
Yeah, sorry, there was a glitch so I didint see your reply. Is it ok if I give my pig a lot of attention until the summer ends, then I'll get him a friend? It's July right now so one more month.

riz13

Cavy Slave
for the cage, can I use cardboard instead of Coroplast?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Cardboard is an absolute no. As soon as he urinates on it, it will be completely ruined. A plastic shower curtain could work if you can't get coroplast, just whatever you use needs to be waterproof.

Will he survived without a friend? Of course, but the real question is if he will thrive with out one. Guinea pigs are social herd animals and definitely benefit from having a buddy.

What province/general area are you in? I may be able to direct you to places to buy supplies if you're in the lower part of Ontario.

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
Just so you know. Because you have a male Guinea pig, if it's fully grown, you may want to try to get a younger male guinea pig, because if you get another one fully grown they may fight. I have 2 males living together, they get along fine.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

riz13

Cavy Slave
I live in Toronto. My dad still doesn't want to get another Guinea pig, but agreed to get the 9x9's, what if I put layers of blankets under a fleece?

Shannon563

Cavy Slave
I tried that, it didn't work for me. But you can try it. I use shavings.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Try and find plastic stores near you.

I know plastic world in downsview sells coroplast. Call around, you'll find a place.

I can get 4x8 foot sheets from a plastic store in Hamilton for $15.

riz13

Cavy Slave
I tried that, it didn't work for me. But you can try it. I use shavings.

Oh, yes, I was planning to put some shavings on top of the fleece. An unrelated question: I use aspen shavings, and I think my Guinea pig ate a piece. Is that ok?

I will look for plastic stores, thanks!

riz13

Cavy Slave
It's day 2, my pig has eaten the pellets and finished up the hay, today I have offered kale&carrots, it's been an hour or two, maybe he nipped some of the kale, but no proof of any actual kale eaten, I'm not worried since it's only day two xD

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why are you putting shavings on top of the fleece? The whole point of using fleece is that it wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer underneath, keeping the pig feet dry and in much less danger of getting bumble foot?

And pigs should never "finish up the hay." It's the most important thing in their diets, and they should have it ALL the time. It's what keeps their teeth ground down and their digestive tracts moving, thereby saving you a lot of expensive dental bills.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.