Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick What could be wrong with my Guinea Pig?

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 year old pig named Remmy, I've had him since he was about 3-4 weeks old and he's never had any health issues so far. He is a bit more skiddish than his cage mate and doesn't like to be handled as much. He does love to be scratched on the head and chin but that's as fR as he will let you go with him. There are times of course where handling him is inevitable such as when I have to clip his nails, change his bedding, when bath time comes around and just to do an overall checkup on him.

Recently I noticed that he looks a little more frail than normal and when I went to pick him up to check his weight he gave no resistance whatsoever to me picking him up. He didn't run away or squeal or anything, this is not like him at all. He does eat and drink just fine so I know it's not lack of food or water. I make sure that he and his cage buddy get unlimited timothy hay and fresh water as well as their recommended amount of pellets and veggies. I make sure to not give them to much veggies that have high calcium and I make sure they get enough that are good with vitamin C. He has lost weight and he feels really bony like he is very malnourished but like I said he eats and is fed well, and he poops and urinates fine too. I'm going to take him to the vet on Wednesday, but I was wondering if anyone knew what could possibly be wrong with him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You really should get a kitchen scale and weigh him regularly. Weight loss is often the very first sign that something is wrong with a pig. Without knowing how much he's lost, there's no way to know whether it's something to worry about or not.

Without any other symptoms, there's really no way to know what he might have. The vet will be able to listen to his heart and lungs and stomach sounds, and should have a better idea. If he gets sicker, don't wait until Wednesday to get him in.

Let us know what the vet says.

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
He's lost about half a pound. I also noticed that his right eye has some discharge as well. Wednesday is the earliest I could get him an appointment because of the 4th of July holiday, and they are the only vet around here that sees guinea pigs. I will update as soon as I find out what's wrong with him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The discharge from the eye is suggestive of a URI. If you can get them to work him in tomorrow, I'd do it. Pigs can go downhill in a BIG hurry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.