Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What kind of hay sack/rack do you use?

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
So ever since last year when I got my adult piggie and sadly then one that had already past away after only about 6 months from adopting from another person, I used and made my own hay sacks from fabric and clips with two holes like most would make. However with the one adult I have plus the two new babies which are maybe 6 months now, I have had problems keeping the babies by climbing into the sack. I'm afraid of them getting stuck besides the fact that I've noticed they pee in it too, what are some other things I can use for my hay instead??? I bought a metal hay rack today from feeders supply to try out but as I have the Midwest cage with a coroplast kitchen insert area for their food the hay rack goes outside of the cage and afraid it will get hay everywhere on the floor with it. I'm still going to try it out and see how it does as I know the babies can't climb into it but what are some other good alternatives I can use for the hay? Pics please!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I had a hay silo made from a cage cube and some choroplast which I really loved, it kept everything nice and neat. Alas, my Mario decided it was really fun to chew the bars, so my lovely silo went bye bye. Right now I'm using a hay bag which is working out well so far, but as you pointed out it could be troublesome with small pigs trying to climb inside. IMG_1946.jpg

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
Thanks @lisa325 I'll see if I can find something similar I have the Midwest cage and I'm hoping to either reconstruct it to be one big cage or just get a c&c cage to replace it with. I have three boars so I really think they need something bigger as two Midwest together is only 24" x 96" but there is the divider with ramp between the two where they connect. This might work if I do the c&c cage cuz then I can use one of the extra grids to do it. But thanks it might just help!!

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I think you will be ( and I know the piggies will ) so much happier with the C&C if you can swing it. I believe that extra space makes such a difference to their well being. Good luck with your project, remember to post pics when it's completed :)

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
We are currently using upside down hidey pieces.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

rotto77

Cavy Slave
I use a Petco hay rack. Hangs on the outside.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
image.jpgI got this hay rack from Feeders supply about a week ago now and been using it. I still get a big mess in the cage from the small loose pieces of hay but not having problems with the babies crawling inside the hay sack I made for my adult piggie. Does anyone else use this and like it? It's ok but as its not flush up against the liner I have hay all over my floor from the bottom of it as it just has clips on the bottom to hook on the cage same with on the sides of the rack. Does it work better with c&c cages or does it have the same problem of falling through the bottom?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I have a twilight chinchillas hay rack, it holds a lot but does take up a lot of room in the cage
image.jpg

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
That's really cute @Saylavi! I don't mind if it'll take up alittle space as I plan on redoing my boys cages into a bigger one hopefully. I just can't find a good hay rack that does good for my adult piggie and the two babies that are able to crawl into the holes in a hay sack. I'm planning to just go back to the sack or the other one I have for now to take this one back. Want to keep as much of the hay in the cage and not on my living room floor. Where did you get that hay rack at?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I ordered from twilight chinchillas but I'm sure you could make one out of untreated wood and soy paint

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
That's really cute @Saylavi! I don't mind if it'll take up alittle space as I plan on redoing my boys cages into a bigger one hopefully. I just can't find a good hay rack that does good for my adult piggie and the two babies that are able to crawl into the holes in a hay sack. I'm planning to just go back to the sack or the other one I have for now to take this one back. Want to keep as much of the hay in the cage and not on my living room floor. Where did you get that hay rack at?

For the time the babies are with you or they grow you can just use hay piles and the piggies love them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.