Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Pine pellets

Ehas0430

Cavy Gazer
Hello all,

so a friend of mine uses pine pellets for their piggies and recommended I use them. But I was a little hesitant because I don't want them thinking its food.

anyone have experience using pine pellets with their cages?

Here is is what I was recommended to use

(broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Pine pellets are fine to use, as long as they don't smell too strong of pine.

Lots of members here use wood pellets. The pigs won't confuse it with food. The pellets are much larger than food pellets.

See this thread for discussions about wood pellets.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107419

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I purchased a 40lb bag of the pine pellets from tractor supply just yesterday. I have been wanting to try them in the kitchen area, and was intending on covering them with fleece like so many other members here. My big concern is the smell, it smells strongly of pine, I have them emptied into a rubbermaid container on my back porch to try and air them out, but I think it's going to take a while.

I contacted the company who makes the pellets, they're called Equine Pines, they tell me the pellets are kiln dried and safe to use, but I'm still not comfortable with the odor at present.

Does anyone else here use these pellets from tractor supply
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...d.php?t=107419

Please let me know your how you feel about them. Thanks :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Tractor Supply buys whatever pellets are available -- the brand changes from time to time.

I wouldn't use them if you can smell a strong pine odor. But you're right, it will take quite a while for them to air out. I left some spread out in a wading pool for over a month one time, and they hadn't lost their odor. So I just put them in the garbage.

Most places will poke a hole in a sack for you before you buy, and let you smell the odor.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Cheers [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. I think i've read every back post on pellet use, and i'm still confused :crazy:, and not convinced they would be right for me.

I'm going to stick with the carefresh in the kitchen for now, I would be paranoid in case something went wrong with the pellets. I will leave the pellets outside and see if they air out over time, if not, in the garbage they go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.