PDA

View Full Version : Cage Midwest Cage

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 06:17 pm
Okay, so we are finally getting a cage update :D (right now we have a kiddie pool with chicken wire around it). We plan to get the Midwest Cage and I have a few questions c:

-How hard is it to clean? (bedding wise)
-Is it easy to put together?
-Would you suggest it?
-Is it big enough for two boars?

Thank you ^-^ Any suggestions/tips/other helpful info would be appreciated and are welcome <3

bpatters
06-26-16, 06:23 pm
It is definitely not big enough for two boars. It's the bare minimum for two sows, and boars just need more room. You can make a C&C cage for less than you'd spend on a Midwest cage, and it would much easier to reconfigure if you need it to be another shape. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials for more information.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 07:04 pm
It is definitely not big enough for two boars. It's the bare minimum for two sows, and boars just need more room. You can make a C&C cage for less than you'd spend on a Midwest cage, and it would much easier to reconfigure if you need it to be another shape. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107825-Where-to-find-C-amp-C-cage-materials for more information.
Alright, we prefer to get a Midwest cage right now since it's what we can work with, we will get two if needed :) But I will see about getting a C&C cage ^-^

bpatters
06-26-16, 07:24 pm
You can't just string the two Midwests together for two boars. You'll have to somehow take one of the sides down so they've got a big open area. Otherwise, the little bridge between the two cages will just be an invitation to squabble.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 07:29 pm
You can't just string the two Midwests together for two boars. You'll have to somehow take one of the sides down so they've got a big open area. Otherwise, the little bridge between the two cages will just be an invitation to squabble.
Oh boy o.o never thought about that, also ever since you last commented my sister and I have been looking at C&C cages and decided that we like them more xD

bpatters
06-26-16, 07:34 pm
If you've got the money, you can order kits from www.guineapigcagesstore.com. They're really easy to put together. But if money is an issue, you can do them really cheaply yourself.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 07:42 pm
If you've got the money, you can order kits from www.guineapigcagesstore.com (http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com). They're really easy to put together. But if money is an issue, you can do them really cheaply yourself.
we would probably get one of those but sadly money is a small issue... My sister and I have to pay for the cage by ourselves (since our guinea pigs are our responsibility) and right now we are doing a dog sitting job. We will be getting payed 32 dollars by the first of July so the most expensive cage we can get right now is 32 dollars.
So we already think we found some materials, please tell me if the chloroplast and/or cubes we found on Amazon won't work, or if we won't have enough for what we need:
Cubes:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LRGV3W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Chloroplast: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U6DXLT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1FWWCVO9POVQF

bpatters
06-26-16, 07:51 pm
The cubes are fine, but if you don't have a Prime membership, the shipping will make the cost go up. If you have a local Walmart, you can get them there. If they don't have them in stock, you have them shipped free to the store, and just pick them up there for the regular price.

The coroplast at Amazon is really expensive. That's the cost for one sheet, 1.5 x 2 feet. It would take a bunch of those to make the cage. There are several possibilities for getting it cheaper. Look at https://www.sabicpolymershapes.com/polyshapes/PShapes/branchlocator/branchlocator.jsp and see if there is a branch near you. They have the cheapest prices. You can also get it at Home Depot Lowes -- look where they keep the plexiglass, because they won't know what coroplast is. Or ask for corrugated plastic. Sometimes you can get misprinted signs from sign stores, like Fast Signs, or even unprinted ones if you tell them it's for a guinea pig cage and you're not competing with them to make signs. This is also a political year, so you should be able to find old political signs for free. You can tape those together.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 07:57 pm
The cubes are fine, but if you don't have a Prime membership, the shipping will make the cost go up. If you have a local Walmart, you can get them there. If they don't have them in stock, you have them shipped free to the store, and just pick them up there for the regular price.

The coroplast at Amazon is really expensive. That's the cost for one sheet, 1.5 x 2 feet. It would take a bunch of those to make the cage. There are several possibilities for getting it cheaper. Look at https://www.sabicpolymershapes.com/polyshapes/PShapes/branchlocator/branchlocator.jsp and see if there is a branch near you. They have the cheapest prices. You can also get it at Home Depot Lowes -- look where they keep the plexiglass, because they won't know what coroplast is. Or ask for corrugated plastic. Sometimes you can get misprinted signs from sign stores, like Fast Signs, or even unprinted ones if you tell them it's for a guinea pig cage and you're not competing with them to make signs. This is also a political year, so you should be able to find old political signs for free. You can tape those together.
My dad has prime (he makes the order on amazon since I don't have an amazon account) so I'll get those cubes. I tried looking at walmart, they had none.

And about the chloroplast, thanks for telling me. Do you think I would be able to find some the right size on Amazon? (I prefer to buy from amazon, though I have no idea why o.O)

bpatters
06-26-16, 08:03 pm
They're on the Walmart online site. Same brand of cubes. But if you've got Prime, they're about the same price.

You can't get anything very large in the way of coroplast on Amazon, or the shipping will kill you. You're far better off looking for a local source.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 08:04 pm
They're on the Walmart online site. Same brand of cubes. But if you've got Prime, they're about the same price.

You can't get anything very large in the way of coroplast on Amazon, or the shipping will kill you. You're far better off looking for a local source.
Alright, thanks. Do you think Walmart will have coroplast? o.O

lissie
06-26-16, 08:19 pm
Do you have a Home Depot near you?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/72-in-x-36-in-x-5-32-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

http://www.homedepot.com/p/48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Twin-Wall-Plastic-Sheet-1TW4896C/205828967

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 08:21 pm
Do you have a Home Depot near you?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/72-in-x-36-in-x-5-32-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

http://www.homedepot.com/p/48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Twin-Wall-Plastic-Sheet-1TW4896C/205828967
Yes, we do, will either of those work?

lissie
06-26-16, 08:27 pm
Yes, we do, will either of those work?
Yes, the 72x36 sheet will work for a 2x4.5 c&c grid cage. The 48 x 96 sheet will work for up to 3x6 c&c grid cage.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 08:30 pm
Yes, the 72x36 sheet will work for a 2x4.5 c&c grid cage. The 48 x 96 sheet will work for up to 3x6 c&c grid cage.
So which one will be better for the one I plan to make with the cubes I plan on using? (link above)

bpatters
06-26-16, 08:47 pm
The second one is the thickness that most of us use. The first one you listed is a little thicker.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 08:49 pm
The second one is the thickness that most of us use. The first one you listed is a little thicker.
Alright, than I'll use the first one (unless you suggest the second one) c:

lissie
06-26-16, 08:50 pm
How much space do you have? If you build the cage on the floor, you'll only need the grids on the sides. The box of cubes you plan to buy comes with 17 grids. It's enough to build 2x6 or 3x5 cage.

A 2x6 cage is about 28x84 inches.

A 3x5 cage is about 42x70 inches.

If you have a measuring tape, take it out and measure your space.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 09:07 pm
How much space do you have? If you build the cage on the floor, you'll only need the grids on the sides. The box of cubes you plan to buy comes with 17 grids. It's enough to build 2x6 or 3x5 cage.

A 2x6 cage is about 28x84 inches.

A 3x5 cage is about 42x70 inches.

If you have a measuring tape, take it out and measure your space.
Gonna measure soon, and call me stupid, but when you say 3x5/2x6 what measurements do you mean? I am not used to doing this sort of thing o~o nor am I good at math, measurements, and stuff like this...

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 09:14 pm
(sorry for double posting)
We have a space that is:
45 inches wide
40 inches long
or the other way around

bpatters
06-26-16, 09:54 pm
She's measuring in grids, which are 14 inches square so a 2x4 cage is (2x14) x (4x14), or 28 x 56 inches.

You don't have enough room to do a full 2x4, but you could do one a little over 3 grids wide (your 45 inch measurement), and almost 3 grids long (your 40 inch measurement). You'd just overlap the grids to get the cage to be the right length.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 09:56 pm
She's measuring in grids, which are 14 inches square so a 2x4 cage is (2x14) x (4x14), or 28 x 56 inches.

You don't have enough room to do a full 2x4, but you could do one a little over 3 grids wide (your 45 inch measurement), and almost 3 grids long (your 40 inch measurement). You'd just overlap the grids to get the cage to be the right length.
alright, and this would be the right size for two boars... Right? And I will probably keep the extra grids so that way I can update the cage whenever possible ^-^

bpatters
06-26-16, 09:57 pm
Yes, that should work for two boars. If you could make it a full 3x3, that would be better, but what you've got should be ok.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 10:00 pm
Yes, that should work for two boars. If you could make it a full 3x3, that would be better, but what you've got should be ok.
Alright, thank you so very much! I'm super excited to get it and set it up!!

I believe this is my last question about the C&C cage, would fleece work better with it than bedding?

bpatters
06-26-16, 10:05 pm
That's a matter of opinion. There are plenty of people who swear by fleece over uhaul bedding, some of us who use fleece over wood pellets, and others who use bedding.

My suggestion would be to start with either carefresh or aspen shavings until you've had enough time to read about fleece and decide what you want to do with it.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-26-16, 10:09 pm
That's a matter of opinion. There are plenty of people who swear by fleece over uhaul bedding, some of us who use fleece over wood pellets, and others who use bedding.

My suggestion would be to start with either carefresh or aspen shavings until you've had enough time to read about fleece and decide what you want to do with it.
Alright, thanks, I wanted to know since my sister and I actually prefer aspen bedding but we also wanted to know if fleece would be easier to use for a C&C cage :)

bpatters
06-26-16, 10:20 pm
Fleece requires more money up front, but is much cheaper in the long run than buying disposable bedding. However, it doesn't work well for small cages, or for people who don't have washing machines.

If you do decide to use it, you should be sure and use it "loose" at first -- don't sew it into blankets and pads until you've washed it and the absorbent layer several times. It's not supposed to shrink, but some of it does. Nothing's more aggravating than making something to fit your cage that no longer fits after the first washing.

Guinea Pig Gal
06-27-16, 12:36 pm
Fleece requires more money up front, but is much cheaper in the long run than buying disposable bedding. However, it doesn't work well for small cages, or for people who don't have washing machines.

If you do decide to use it, you should be sure and use it "loose" at first -- don't sew it into blankets and pads until you've washed it and the absorbent layer several times. It's not supposed to shrink, but some of it does. Nothing's more aggravating than making something to fit your cage that no longer fits after the first washing.
Alright, thanks :)