Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor Help I think my Guinea pig has a tumor

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi Guinea pig forum,
today I was petting my 2 year old Guinea pig Santas little helper and I felt a Lump and when I parted her hair I found what I think is a tumor. I shaved around the area to get a closer look I would prefer not to have to go to the vet because there are no reliable vets that I like in my area I'm going to post a picture so hopefully some of you guys can tell me if I need to go to the veternarian or if it just looks like a scab of some sort I'm freaking out about it and hate seeing a tumor on my pet

Attachments

image.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
Which part of her body is it at? It just looks like a nipple to me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @lissie. Is there one on the other side?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Looks like one of their two nipples to me? Or is this somewhere else on the body? It's hard to tell but is that on the back? Or are we missing something on the picture?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Looking closer the center looks like it might be inverted and the surrounding pigmented skin looks inflamed? If so, and depending on location it may not be a nipple.

If it is not a nipple it could possibly be a sebaceous cyst, trichofolliculoma or something similar. Here is a link to the guinea lynx page about trichofolliculoma https://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
The "tumor" is definatly not a nipple! its on her lower back right around the hip area so I think I just might make a vet appointment to get it looked at

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Definitely get your vet on this. There isn't much one can do at home other than make sure its not effecting their daily life and to keep them eating (even by handfeeding when needed).

It could be any of the following:

Abscess
Cyst
Tumor
Mole (that may have been scratched open).

It might be minor but it might not. Either way your instinct to book your vet is a very, very, good idea. Please keep us posted. I've done a few abscess after care myself. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.