PDA

View Full Version : 4 piggies and a girl

shrader
06-14-16, 02:41 pm
Hey GP lovers

I have 4 male guinea pigs that are about 8 months old. thier names are Moose, Hulk, Bear and York. They all live in a 2X6 C&C cage with a 1X2 loft. They love thier cage so much! I am aware of the fact that there is a rumor going on about male pigs and how more than 2 cant live together. I would LOVE to prove this rumor wrong by having my boys live together thier entire lives but i have a back up cage just in case.

IF ANYONE has more than 2 males living together, please comment and tell me a little about them and how u have made it possible for them to live in THE SAME CAGE. Id love to get some tips other than "space, space space". Thanks!!!

CavyMama
06-14-16, 08:07 pm
I'm sure you would love people to tell you that there is more to it than "space, space, space" but truly, with males, one of the main keys to them getting along is indeed, having enough space. It's rare that more than 2 males will get along in the same cage. Please do not make it your mission to "prove this rumor wrong".

shrader
06-14-16, 08:33 pm
I'm sure you would love people to tell you that there is more to it than "space, space, space" but truly, with males, one of the main keys to them getting along is indeed, having enough space. It's rare that more than 2 males will get along in the same cage. Please do not make it your mission to "prove this rumor wrong".

I never said "it was my mission to prove this rumor wrong". i said i would like to prove it wrong but i am fully prepared to separate them if need be and would not put them in any danger if it was not safe for them to be together. I ABSOLUTELY KNOW THAT THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE I WILL HAVE TO SEPARATE THEM ONE DAY. I " wouldnt love" for people to tell me its more than just space, i only said that because i ALREADY know they need space so i dont need to hear it over and over again since that information is everywhere. i have done my research on having boys and I KNOW they need plenty of space. i have talked to multiple people thru rescues who have had big herds of males that currently LIVE together or know someone who has them.....so it might be rare but its possible. im looking for other helpful advice i might not have thought of to keep them as happy as can be since, like you pointed out, space is just "ONE of the main keys to getting along". Thanks for your help.

bpatters
06-14-16, 08:35 pm
If they're getting along now, in the full throes of puberty, they may always be able to get along. You'd increase your chances of that happening if you could enlarge the cage some, but it might not be necessary.

I know plenty of people who have more than two boars living together. But mostly, as in your case, they've grown up together as young pups, and haven't been introduced as adults into an established herd.