Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Homemade or C&C? Which shape?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
In a few months, my boyfriend and i are moving in together. He have already agreed to get 2 pairs of sows (our friends got a pair, which he totally fell in love with, although he denies it), and to building a homemade cage if we find that to be the best option. But! I finally found a site that ships C&C cages to Denmark, but with the coroplast already cut and done. So i wont be able to be creative with the shape. And i cant do 3x? only 2x?

My questions are as such:
If a C&C is the best option for the room - what size will be okay for 2 sows, and still not fill up the whole room?
If a homemade - how? which shape?

This is the room they will be in -
So the empty space in the upper right corner would be their spot. This will also be our office. We will spend most of our time in here, although it is a small room.

Thank you! I know we have some intelligent people in here that might be able to twist their brain around this. :p I'm just not good with this by myself.

Attachments

marsvin værelse.jpg 13410579_1109419375789590_1933010220_o.jpg 13453239_1109419352456259_923660547_o.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@lissie is the reigning cage design expert. Maybe she'll see this and give you some ideas. You've looked in the photo galleries?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
@lissie is the reigning cage design expert. Maybe she'll see this and give you some ideas. You've looked in the photo galleries?

Yes, for hours and hours. And it is inspirational, i just dont really know how to make them work in this room. =)

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Smart choice to put them in your office.:cool: My cavies' cage sits alongside my desk in my small home office and we interact constantly when I'm working from home. I get to see all the cute things they do as a result. Since they will be in your office, you need to invest in an air cleaner to avoid any odor there, should you have guests. I also store my hanging clothes in my office, so I don't want any nasty smells accumulating in my clothes.

My room is quite small and there literally is no room to be creative in design. I created a cage to fit the space I have and it is a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft. The offset loft goes in a corner that would otherwise be unusable. I have two boars in this cage and would love to be able to enlarge it. What I'm considering doing is to replace this C&C cage with one made from closet shelving that can be any dimension I choose without having to be enlarged a full 14" grids width/length.

My boys are totally bonded, but there is just NO room for them to run. Sparky is almost three pounds and can only run in a tight circle. They are petrified of floor time unless I sit with them, so that's just not an option for us. I'm happy to share pics once I get to my home computer. You best bet is to look through the photo gallery.

I would LOVE to see pics! And nice tip about the air cleaner. =)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: Homemade or C&C? Which shape?

Is 2,24m the whole width of that wall, or is it just from the wall to the door?

Edit to add: What are the dimensions of the table?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Re: Homemade or C&C? Which shape?

Is 2,24m the whole width of that wall, or is it just from the wall to the door?

Edit to add: What are the dimensions of the table?

the 2,24 is the whole wall, with the door and everything.

I dont have the dimensions, as we dont have the table. But we were thinking of getting something along those lines. :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you please measure the space from the door to the wall?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
I see nothing in your drawing with regard to a desk--or two, office chairs, bookshelves, file cabinet, etc. You DID say that it will be your office?? It would seem to me that you need to factor all those things in and create some sort of arrangement, and then come up with a cage configuration. It is a good plan to put the cage across the room from the radiator and window. Speaking of the radiator, can you build a radiator cover so that space below the window isn't wasted?

Here are the promised pics of my cage.......you can see that it is wedged between my desk and a wall. That is a Homedics Air Purifier sitting at the foot of the cage. It has been running 24/7 for three years. I change the filter twice a year. Notice the casters on the cage so that it can be moved for cleaning behind it.

Um, what do you mean, no desk or chairs? I have drawed them on there? :p And its not that kind of office. "Office" as in where we use our computers. We dont need bookshelves or cabinets. I have already thought about what else should be in the room, and really, its nothing but the long corner desk, 2 chairs and a cage. =)

Do you feel a difference from the purifier? :)

Last edited:

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Can you please measure the space from the door to the wall?

I cant measure it precisely right now, as it is not our apartment yet, but it is around 110-120cm, so i thought it would be alright for a cage anywhere from 75-85cm deep? =)

lissie

Cavy Slave
How about something like this? It's a 2x5 C&C cage in the drawing. A 2x4 will also work for a pair of sows, but the larger the cage the better.
You mentioned 2 pairs, so I drew stacked cages.

room.jpg

Edit to add:
Here are some pictures of stacked cages.
(broken link removed)

cage048_zpsedb882d2.jpg

You could also build a custom cage. This is my old cage. It's 8ft long by 28 inches deep.
(broken link removed)

Last edited:

Krymle

Cavy Slave
How about something like this? It's a 2x5 C&C cage in the drawing. A 2x4 will also work for a pair of sows, but the larger the cage the better.
You mentioned 2 pairs, so I drew stacked cages.

View attachment 79716

Edit to add:
Here are some pictures of stacked cages.
(broken link removed)

View attachment 79717

You could also build a custom cage. This is my old cage. It's 8ft long by 28 inches deep.
(broken link removed)

Wow! Amazing little program there.. what is it called? =D

That is a actually a mistake.. i guess my brain mixed up "a pair of sows" and "2 sows".. wah. I will correct it right away.

EDIT: I cant find the edit button? :sad:

Krymle

Cavy Slave

That is a actually a mistake.. i guess my brain mixed up "a pair of sows" and "2 sows".. wah. I will correct it right away.

I had a male pig once that could jump like 40cm high.. how high is your plexiglass(if it is plexiglass)?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
My mistake.......just checking. My home office IS that kind of office.

With regard to the air purifier, I absolutely notice a difference, especially with a small room. The room has a window opposite the cage location, but it often is closed because the room is a first floor room and open windows are too tempting to burglars. When I'm home, that's another story. Unless it's really hot, I often have the window open a little with a fan pointing toward the wall behind the cage for air circulation as well.

They are a little expensive, i can see, but it sounds like an important addition. :) Definitely worth a try :D

What is the program called you used to draw the room?

lissie

Cavy Slave

The program is called SketchUp.

You can only edit your post 10 minutes after posting.

I had a male pig once that could jump like 40cm high.. how high is your plexiglass(if it is plexiglass)?

Mine is 10 inches on the top, 6inches on the bottom. All my pigs are seniors. They don't jump out.
Lissie comes through again. :D You're terrific, Lissie!
Thanks!

Krymle

Cavy Slave
The program is called SketchUp.

You can only edit your post 10 minutes after posting.

Okay, thank you. That cleared it up. :p

Mine is 10 inches on the top, 6inches on the bottom. All my pigs are seniors. They don't jump out.

Thanks!

Okay, thank you. That cleared it up, about the editing. :p

Nice tool.. might try it. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.