Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

<sigh> What can I say now about pet shops?

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Whenever possible I try and steer clear of the big chain pet stores for supplies. Today the hamster desperately needed carefresh and I had none, the pet store I go to that doesn't sell animals is shut on Sundays, so off I went to the local big chain pet store. I have the usual gripes with them - Syrian hamsters housed together, guinea pigs housed with rabbits. The animals generally appear healthy. I usually grab what I need then go.

Today I couldn't help but overhear a conversation about a hamster with a member of staff and a customer. They had purchased a hamster some days ago and it had developed wet tail (severe diarrhoea caused by bacterial infection). They weren't holding out much hope for it, but I gathered by the way they spoke that it was a pet bought to keep their child quiet. The pet store man offered them a refund, and said to bring it back for a refund. I was horrified enough at this. The woman asked if the hamster survived, could they have him back? "No." said the member of staff. I can see the scenario in my head, and I don't want to think about it.

Yet another reason to steer well clear. Blah.

CavygirlLish

Cavy Slave
That right there is why I ended up treating my rat at home on my own without Petsmart 14 day gurantee..he got sick within 5 days But I refused to give him up,granted he died in the end but he is the one that started my rat craze..:) Granted now I work at ahem..said store..but its amazing how their small animal section and supplies are so much better taken care of oh..and not as many returns..and..amazing..not as many sick? Thanks to me :) My boss about kills me anytime I had him another sick guinea pig and demand vet treatment before I take it myself and threaten corprate hehe..But it does have it days...I guess you could say their sales numbers have also gone down since I started there too..but hey...can't please them all can we? I also hate how the hamsters are kept together but that will Never change..Ive tried..:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.