PDA

View Full Version : Zip Ties Zip tie tencil strength

BFGuru
05-31-16, 03:25 pm
I see 4 inch is recommended but they only have an 18# tensile strength. Is this good enough or should I up it to 8 inch at 50-75# tensile strength?

pigmommy89
05-31-16, 04:48 pm
Definitely use the 8 inch ones. I have a 2x7 over a 4x7, with a grids width between so more light gets in the bottom cage. I wanted to make sure the top wouldn't fall in, so I actually sat in it before putting the front wall on. And I'm not that small. The 4 inch zip ties aren't strong enough to do that.

spy9doc
05-31-16, 05:46 pm
I think you meant "tensile" strength? Yes, absolutely use the 8" ties even though they seem to be overkill. If you're going to work with them a lot, you may want to consider getting a pair of wire snips to make cutting off the excess really easy.

pigmommy89
05-31-16, 06:16 pm
I actually cut mine with dog nail clippers I bought from the dollar store. It works surprisingly well.

BFGuru
05-31-16, 09:02 pm
I think you meant "tensile" strength? Yes, absolutely use the 8" ties even though they seem to be overkill. If you're going to work with them a lot, you may want to consider getting a pair of wire snips to make cutting off the excess really easy.

OK. I made an executive decision and chose wrong lol. I'll return them tomorrow for the 8 inch. Problems when you post from the store.

In other news I couldn't fit the corrugated plastic in my car so I bought packing tape and taped it through and around the windows and sunroof on top of the car. 15 mph and I still had to reach out and hold it down with my hand Hahaha. Quite the adventure.

Time for a piggie palace to put my girls together. Just the short spurts of time they interact,y silent Scarlett is starting to respond to her chatty sister Navi. As much as my wallet has buyer's remorse, watching her learn to be normal and trust has been well worth the purchase.

Let's just hope I can pawn the old cage off on Craigslist for about $50 since I only used it two weeks and paid $100 for it.