Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Two story wooden cage?

Rikai

Cavy Slave
We currently have two 2x4 C&C cages with a pair of females in each. We got Cookie from a pet store, and a few days later we went back and got Cocoa from the same store. We switched from the store-bought cage to a 2x3 C&C once we learned a thing or two about guinea pig requirements. We rescued Brownie a few weeks later and expanded to 2x5. All was well and good, with Cookie being the dominant.

A few weeks after that, we adopted Peach from a breader and expanded the cage to 2x6 C&C to comfortably accomodate all four piggies. We had four water bottles, four food bowls, and a mix of toys, hideys, and beds. Unfortunately, Cookie and Brownie would team up against Peach. We let this go on thinking it was just initial behaviour and that this did not occur with Brownie as she was bigger yet submissive.

After two weeks or so, we discovered bite marks on Peach and separated them into two groups. Cookie and Cocoa were separated, as Cocoa was the only one who was not mean to Peach. So Cookie and Brownie are now in one 2x4 C&C, and Peach and Cocoa are in another 2x4 C&C.

Because of the size of the cages, I would like to make a two story 2.5ft wide by 4ft cage with plexiglass on the front so we can see them, as well as a (1ft-2ft tall) storage space underneath. I'd also like to have an easy way to clean it, such as a shelf between at the bottom of each level that slides out to dispose of the mess.

The main goal of this is to get them out of the room they have been placed in because of how much space they take up. I live in a small apartment complex and they currently take up about 1/3 of a room in a split 4x4 C&C cage. The main interaction they get is when they are fed and when they are given floor time during cage cleaning. It doesn't feel like it is enough but there is not a lot of room in their room to play with them, and they're quite messy everywhere else. This new cage would let us put them in another room more frequented.

My main questions are:

Does anyone have any plans similar to this that I could modify to fit my needs?
What materials are safe to use in the cage?
Can the wood be stained or painted?
What would make a good liner to use in the new cage? (Currently using three towels overlapping as a liner)
What is the best place to get guinea pig safe wood?
Should I use caulk to seal the edges after screwing the pieces together?

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is my old cage.
(broken link removed)

I used solid kiln dried pine for the frames, and painted with white water based paint. I did not use caulk to seal my cage, but you can do it. I used vinyl flooring to line the cage floor, and didn't see the need to use caulk.

Parts list for a 6ft cage (someone asked me for the list. My cage is 8ft.):
For support frames:
4 pieces - 2x2 Pine - cut to 6'
4 pieces - 2x2 Pine - cut to 25"

For outer frames:
2 pieces - 1x4 Pine - cut to 28"
2 pieces - 1x4 Pine - cut to 6' 1.5"
2 pieces - 1x12 Pine* - cut to 28"
2 pieces - 1x12 Pine* - cut to 6' 1.5"
* The finished cage wall on the side and back are 9 1/8" high. If you would like higher walls, look for something wider than a 1x12.

For floors:
2 pieces - 3/4" thick plywood - 28" x 6'

Plexiglas:
2 pieces - 1/4" thick Plexiglas - cut to 6' x 9"
2 pieces - 1/4" thick Plexiglas - cut to 27 3/4" x 9"

For legs:
4 pieces - 2x4 Dry Douglas Fir - cut to 14" (for the slat on the legs).
4 pieces - 2x4 Dry Douglas Fir - cut to the height you want your cage to be.

Step-by-Step Instructions

Step 1)
01.jpg
Screw 2x2 together to make the support frame

Step 2)
02.jpg
Bolt the outter frame to the support frame. I use carriage bolts, 4 bolts on the long sides and 2 on the short sides. Total of 12 bolts around the base. See the picture below for bolt placement.
IMG_0193.jpg

Step 3)
03.jpg
Lay the plywood down for the floor. Then screw all the way around the base (mine is 12" apart). You can add vinyl floor for waterproof layer or use waterproof paint or wood stain.

Step 4)
04.jpg
Add Plexiglas and attach to the frame with screws or glue (whichever you prefer). Then repeat from the 1st step to make another cage since it's a double layer cage.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
Step 5)

Glue or screw the legs together. Make 2 sets of these.

Step 6)

Bolt the legs to the base of the cages. Use 6 bolts on each side. (3 per level per side) Technically, the cage would be laying on the sides when you add the legs. Then you'll need some help to flip it over.

The bolts I use on the legs are lag bolts. Easier to remove than carriage bolts if you need to move.
I moved after finished building the cage. I had movers help me flip the cage over to remove the legs and it didn't take too much time to remove and put back on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.