PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast Taping coroplast together?

thepeep2003
05-30-16, 05:46 pm
I plan on making a C & C cage this summer to replace my current cage and I would love to make it a 3x3 cage (if making a 2x4 cage would be easier I'd do that since it's the same inner size) but from my calculations a 3x3 cage would use more than one sheet of coroplast. I could get a smaller sheet and tape it to my normal sized one then mark and score it like normal but what tape should I use and are there any precautions I need to think about with taping 2 together? I guess if I can get a bigger sheet I definitely will but just incase I need to tape it I want to make sure I do it right! :)

bpatters
05-30-16, 05:58 pm
You can use any kind of tape that's sticky enough to hold. Duct tape, packing strapping tape, plain cellophane tape will all work. What you have to do is tape it in places where the pigs can't get to it. They love that stuff, and will eat all they can get their teeth on.

merryguinea
05-30-16, 09:40 pm
I had to tape the coroplast for our newer, bigger cage together, so used white duct tape (we had it on hand)

CavyMama
05-31-16, 06:00 am
A 3X3 cage doesn't have to use more than one sheet of coroplast. You can get it cut to specification, to fit a 3X3. You mentioned that a 3X3 would be the same "inner size" as a 2X4. I'm not sure I understand your thought here. A 3X3 is a different shape of a cage. 2X4 is a rectangular coroplast base and a 3X3 is a square. A 3X3 is a wider but shorter base than a 2X4. Can you clarify your definition of "inner size"?

lunarminx
05-31-16, 08:25 am
A 3x3 will give them a tiny bit more room, I did like that for my two young boars at one time.

As for the tape, I have used true duct tape, cheap/fake duct tape and clear packing tape and gorrila tape. The only one I never had to go back and fix after a bit was the gorilla tape.

thepeep2003
05-31-16, 02:25 pm
A 3X3 cage doesn't have to use more than one sheet of coroplast. You can get it cut to specification, to fit a 3X3. You mentioned that a 3X3 would be the same "inner size" as a 2X4. I'm not sure I understand your thought here. A 3X3 is a different shape of a cage. 2X4 is a rectangular coroplast base and a 3X3 is a square. A 3X3 is a wider but shorter base than a 2X4. Can you clarify your definition of "inner size"?

Sorry about that! I now know from lunarminx that a 3x3 is bigger but I assumed as it uses the same amount of grids to make that it would have the same inner area. Yeah I'll probably get it custom cut I was just referencing the usual size of a coroplast sheet. Sorry for being unclear :(

PBmommy
05-31-16, 03:14 pm
I was going to ask something similar....when I cut mine's cage in half I had to tape the one side a lot and so its to where he can get it..i hope he wont eat it :/ bc its gonna be that way for about a week until new size comes in(bad idea to try and make one lol i am not a diy type)

lunarminx
05-31-16, 03:44 pm
I was going to ask something similar....when I cut mine's cage in half I had to tape the one side a lot and so its to where he can get it..i hope he wont eat it :/ bc its gonna be that way for about a week until new size comes in(bad idea to try and make one lol i am not a diy type)

You can always poke two holes and ziptie them together. : like that through the two pieces.

lunarminx
05-31-16, 03:46 pm
Sorry about that! I now know from lunarminx that a 3x3 is bigger but I assumed as it uses the same amount of grids to make that it would have the same inner area. Yeah I'll probably get it custom cut I was just referencing the usual size of a coroplast sheet. Sorry for being unclear :(

Almost the same amount.
2x4 = 8 grids
3x3= 9 grids

PBmommy
05-31-16, 04:07 pm
You can always poke two holes and ziptie them together. : like that through the two pieces.

I had accidentally cut all the way through it instead of just scoring it :(

spy9doc
05-31-16, 05:59 pm
I had accidentally cut all the way through it instead of just scoring it :(

It has happened to all of us at one time or the other. My solution is to use a handy little tool called a Coro Claw which you can buy online from a variety of sources. The only negative to it is that it will only cut in the direction of the flutes, and not across them. Still, it will save you the headache of ruining a perfectly good piece of coroplast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24oeQKxXFUU