PDA

View Full Version : Cage Modified cage

PBmommy
05-29-16, 12:02 pm
Hi everyone. Just wanted to share I cut the 2x6 cage in half (we moved and don't have room) &so now I have 2 2x3 cages...one gp though so only using one lol. I just wanted to share a picture and also ask if it matters that he keeps going into that little open spot on the edge? He seems to know how to get back in the cage but jw? (My cut was clearly a little off...the other side is slightly longer so I'll probably use it)and also I still want to get him a friend bc I truly think he's unhappy but I'm wondering if a spayed female is an option since it's smaller now

spy9doc
05-29-16, 12:26 pm
I just wanted to share a picture and also ask if it matters that he keeps going into that little open spot on the edge?

IMHO, yes, it does matter. You should fill in the gap with a folded towel or cut some cardboard to keep him out. If he is a young piggy, he could get his head caught in the grid openings in that space. In any event, it is possible that any cavy could get a foot caught or develop bumblefoot from walking directly on the wire grids. I can see from the pics that he apparently likes to pull the loose fleece away from the area, or possibly try to burrow under it.

What happened to the coro that you aren't using? Can't you either substitute that section for the one in the pic, or cut it and use it to piece together a coro box that fits properly?

Getting a spayed female isn't the answer. The cage you now have simply isn't large enough for two cavies. It might do as a temporary cage if they both were under five months old, but not as they approach adulthood.

PBmommy
05-29-16, 12:37 pm
I have seen many people use 2x3 for 2. Even on various gp forums.. why would that be too small?

bpatters
05-29-16, 12:51 pm
A 2x3 is the minimum size for ONE pig. Two pigs need more room. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page and see www.cavyspirit.com about why pigs need more room.

You can find anything recommended on the internet. It isn't necessarily good for the pigs, or recommended by anyone reputable.

CavyMama
05-29-16, 12:52 pm
I have seen many people use 2x3 for 2. Even on various gp forums.. why would that be too small?

Just because many people use it, doesn't mean it is appropriate. Many people also use store bought cages, it doesn't mean they are appropriate for guinea pigs.

PBmommy
05-31-16, 02:33 pm
I am probably going to be stuck buying a new one anyway. I don't really want to use fleece and therefore the taped part is uncovered and i'm worried about him eating it :/ I just really regret buying the jumbo one when I didn't need it or have room really.

spy9doc
05-31-16, 06:02 pm
I just really regret buying the jumbo one when I didn't need it or have room really.

Don't you just hate the blinding clarity of hindsight! :ohmy:

PBmommy
05-31-16, 06:14 pm
Yes lol definitely. I did contact the makers of the cages and they said 2x4 will be ok for when I get my guy a friend:)