PDA

View Full Version : New mommy

BFGuru
05-24-16, 10:27 pm
Hi all, I recently adopted a six month female named Scarlett from a gal who said she had no time for her. Scarlett is silent and trembles when held and her cage she was in seemed rather small. I looked online and most places say to make them with grids but with two cats I do t want them able to get into the cages or break the connectors so I went to petsmar in search of something larger. I ended up with a rabbit cage 40*21 inches. While there my son and I saw a beautiful six week old tricolor girl we fell in love with and we brought her home to give Scarlett some company and a chance to learn to vocalize again. We named her Navi after the Fairy in Zelda.

I still think the cage is on the small size but it is one that can be attached to another of the same brand to enlarge it. I hope to find a kitty safe solution with a strong lid eventually.

I can't seem to access my gallery to upload a picture of my girls since it defaults to documents or files, but bear with me and you will have a pic eventually.

I'm learning everything now and want to take good care of them. Scarlett seems to like the pellet food while Navi is only eating hay currently. I still have them in separate cages though we did introduce them today while holding them.

Anywho...hi. I'm off to browse and ask more questions.

BFGuru
05-24-16, 10:39 pm
OK let's see if uploading to photo bucket helps. Tricolor is Navi. Ginger is Scarlett.

merryguinea
05-24-16, 10:40 pm
Ahh!! Had a reply typed out next lost it!
welcome and congrats! I just joined here the other day , loads of great info. Search the cages forum for pet proofing and lids. Lots of great ideas. And here's a good link to guidelines for age size. https://www.guineapigcages.com/
guineapigcagesstore.com has all the supplies to make it!

merryguinea
05-24-16, 10:41 pm
OK let's see if uploading to photo bucket helps. Tricolor is Navi. Ginger is Scarlett.
They're so cute!! My Pearl is black with white And some tan, like your Navi oh! And you will want to dog or check they're both girls. From what I understand, pet stores aren't always accurate.

bpatters
05-24-16, 10:47 pm
Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say, your cage isn't large enough for one pig, much less two. I'd suggest you return it and get something more appropriate. The grid cages are plenty sturdy enough to keep cats out, particularly if you use connectors and zip tie the corners together.

BFGuru
05-24-16, 10:50 pm
Well, I can't return it as I've got baby in it lol. But I can probably unload it on Craigslist once I procure suitable housing.

BFGuru
05-24-16, 10:53 pm
They're so cute!! My Pearl is black with white And some tan, like your Navi oh! And you will want to dog or check they're both girls. From what I understand, pet stores aren't always accurate.

I'm pretty sure Scarlett is female. I don't see anything resembling testicles. I haven't been able to hold squirmy baby down long enough to check, but at six weeks, if they are like cats at all testicles can be hard to find, so I'll wait a bit and look lol. I don't have to put them together yet so it's good. By the time we see the vet for checkups all should be decided.

bpatters
05-24-16, 10:54 pm
Here's some help with sexing: www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. You're not looking for testicles -- they may not appear for a while. You're looking to be able to feel, and preferably extrude, a penis.

BFGuru
05-24-16, 11:08 pm
Thanks. I haven't tried to get a penis to protrude and she's sleeping right now, but Scarlett definitely looks like the female pics.

BFGuru
05-25-16, 05:49 pm
OK I did try to get a penis to protrude and I don't feel anything that could be a baculum (sp?).

This is the six month old Scarlett.

And this is the six week old Navi.

Sorry the pics are so blurry. It's hard to hold a piggie still with one hand and snap a pic with the other.

I'm thinking they were sexed as female appropriately.

bpatters
05-25-16, 05:57 pm
I can't tell from the pictures -- too dim and too far away. Maybe you could try again when there's someone to hold the pig?

BFGuru
05-25-16, 06:03 pm
I'll try again tomorrow when I can sit by the window and use natural light. I should feel the baculum right?

bpatters
05-25-16, 06:27 pm
Yes. Use your thumb or index finger, press down just above the genitalia, and rub crossways across the abdomen. You may have to press fairly hard (it won't hurt the pig), but if the baculum is there, you should feel it under your finger as you move it back and forth across the abdomen.

mjalred
05-25-16, 06:54 pm
Welcome to the forums!!! Yes, your cage is really too small, another solution for your piggies and kitties is maybe to put the pigs in their own room where the cats aren't allowed, though I can see keeping cats out of one room of the house being pretty tough. If you build a c&c cage, they will more than likely keep you kitties out if they have a lid. As for sexing them, I'm not really qualified to say anything since the vet did the sexing for us, however looking at the pictures, they both look like girls to me. Anyway, we welcome you and your piggies to the forum, and we hope you enjoy it here.

BFGuru
05-25-16, 09:19 pm
It's pretty easy shooing the cats out when I'm not in the room. I'm not keeping them in my room when the new cage is together. That would be problematic as the cats sleep with me. :)

I think Scarlett is starting to come around ever so slowly. She's not cowering under that see through plastic hut thing she came with as much. Three times I caught her peeking out at me today from the alfalfa tunnel I bought her (which I found out isn't that good for her now ACK). Today I had a section blocked off of my bed to let her out to play a bit. Someone slammed a door and instead of bolting the other way she ran into my arms for protection from the scary noise.

She's still silent.

Navi, is an imp and crawls all over me. She's non stop chatter when I hold her too. I have no worries about her acclimating.

mjalred
05-25-16, 10:59 pm
Lol, I have never had cats or dogs and didn't even think about how most animals sleep with their parents! It sounds like little Scarlette is really coming around! If she cowered into your arms, that must mean she feels safe with you, right? Happy taming!

BFGuru
05-25-16, 11:08 pm
Lol, I have never had cats or dogs and didn't even think about how most animals sleep with their parents! It sounds like little Scarlette is really coming around! If she cowered into your arms, that must mean she feels safe with you, right? Happy taming!
Yeah that definitely made me feel better. My cats are curiously jealous because they keep trying to climb on my lap as soon as I put one of the piggies down. I currently have ten pounds of fluff on my belly. LOL

mjalred
05-25-16, 11:26 pm
Lol, i keep two cages one pig in each (I plan on putting them together soon) but even though we're still taming Leslie, and she doesn't like to be held, she still seems to get jealous of Mabel when I take her out for cuddles.