Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help with C&C Cage

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
So I decided to change the outside of my cage from Critter Corral type stuff to cubes. Got the cubes and started assembling. I'll be changing from my galvanized metal bottom to coroplast, as well.

Here's the question: When I go to assemble, I see that the connectors stick into the cage bottom part a little bit. I looked at the photos and it appears that's just the way it works. But how do you get a snug coroplast "pan" into the grids when the connector sticks out into the cage area?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Don't use connectors at the bottom where the coroplast tray sits, only use them at the top of the grids. Zip/cable tie the bottom parts of the grids together and your tray will fit in there nicely. I did that with my cage.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Ok, that makes some sense - thanks.

But the connectors at the top don't let the grid edges meet flush, they're about 5/8 inch apart or so...how do you zip tie something 5/8 apart? Am I making any sense at all?

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
twofinepigs---- said:
Ok, that makes some sense - thanks.

But the connectors at the top don't let the grid edges meet flush, they're about 5/8 inch apart or so...how do you zip tie something 5/8 apart? Am I making any sense at all?
Place the connectors on the top to get the correct spacing, then put your zipties on the bottom & snug them up until the space is the same on the bottom.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Oh - k - you don't snug up the zip-ties all the way, then.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm. I'm one grid short of making a loft. The kids really wanted to have a loft. But I think for my two guys they need a 2x4 and I don't want to go to a 2x3 with loft...plus the ramp takes up floor space on the main level.

Guess I will just wait until I can afford another box of grids for the loft.

I see a lot of open lofts. Pigs don't fall out of open lofts?

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
No Coro to be had in my town, but they're in their new 2x4 so they have a little more space than they did. They're down on plastic (actually a waterproof mattress pad) with their sheets and towels over it.

They don't seem much impressed, they're munching hay and goofing to see how much of a mess they can make with the water bottle just as they usually do.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
The water bottle is at a new level on the side of the cage, so they have to check it out. So far they have emptied eight ounces. In an hour. Probably about a half-ounce max inside the pigs (at least temporarily) and the rest right out onto the bedding.

Beasts.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Mine were like that - built them a nice new cage and what did they do? Charge straight ahead to the hay and sit there for hours. At least yours are going to the hay and water bottle! :) My loft uses grids that are half the height of regular ones, so that I can have better interaction with them. Since mine are so lazy, they would never even dream of jumping out. It really depends on your pigs personality.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
My coro is here! I found it at Tap Plastics. They had some in stock, but not the color I wanted (dark blue) and since the boys were okay on the mattress pad I figured I'd order and get what I really wanted. Today or tomorrow I will go and pick it up and make the bottom.

I did have enough grids for a small loft, but with no coro for the bottom I haven't built a ramp yet. I'm going to build the ramp from the sections of the old critter corral, and I'll look at the dollar store for washable rugs or mats to line it with.

I want to make cozies or pillows or sacks for them out of a remnant of faux fur that they love, but we did see Einie chewing on it a little bit, and now we're concerned that he might eat too much of it. Neither pig has shown a tendency to eat non-food items once they've tasted them, but then neither one has ever owned anything made of fabric. Is there any risk to fabric stuff being left in the cage when the pigs aren't supervised?

pennick

Cavy Slave
My piggies have also eaten non-food items when it's new to them. Once they have had their fill, they get tired of it and move onto something else.

So from my experience with my piggies, they have filled their tummies to the brim with carpeting, vetbed, towel threads, fleece from their cozies, you name it they have eaten it and I have not seen any adverse reaction.

I'm not saying to allow your piggies to sit and devour their cage. But it's only natural for them to chew on new things. They do get bored of it after awhile.

If I took out everything they chewed on, they would have nothing in their cage except the coroplast and grids.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So from my experience with my piggies, they have filled their tummies to the brim with carpeting, vetbed, towel threads, fleece from their cozies, you name it they have eaten it and I have not seen any adverse reaction.
Mine have tried coroplast, carpet, plastic bag (one was sitting too close to the cage and they drug it through the grids), towel threads, newspaper, cardboard, ribbon (I made a hammock with ribbons to tie it to the grids) and puppy pads. They have never tried to eat the fleece or mattress pad or other fabrics.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Picked up my pretty dark-blue coro today and it's sitting in the living room. An evening project!

I had to go get a new utility knife and some clear tape, and while I was at Le Mart Du Wal I fell in love with some solar-system print fleece. Must have, must have. Hoovas turns his corner litter pan on its side and then sits in it; we always say he's playing spaceship again, and asking "Have I landed yet?" Oh, well, you probably have to be there.

I must have that fleece, though. Sigh. It's 7.95 a yard.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
They got their new bottom this morning. They don't care. Hoover sampled the coroplast, because Hoover samples everything, and found it too bland for his taste.

I measured my coro down to the gnat's eyelash and discovered it was a bit tight to get in. I should have backed off 1/4 in overall for an easier fit. Just the difference in measurements (because I measured the outside and not the inside) made the coro box hard to get into the cubes.

I have decided to buy the space fleece and call it holiday clothes. Everyone wants to look nice for Thanksgiving and the boys should have something new to wear, don't you think?

skirbo

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on the space fleece. I have a feeling I'm going to cave in over the SpongeBob Squarepants fleece this next weekend. lol

Sarah

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
Oh, get it! New piggy clothes for the holiday!

Little beast Hoover has decided that coro IS, indeed, tasty. Yes, they have unlimited hay, and chew logs, and toys (which they could care less about), he just likes chewing plastic. So if he keeps it up I guess I will start looking for the wooden or aluminum or other edging of some sort.

I wish I thought he would get bored with it, but he's kind of obsessive about chewing, he's been quite artistic with the openings to their wooden hut.

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
All right, this is funny: I was going to try wiping a little vinegar onto the edges to see if it would discourage him, and he nearly ripped the paper towel out of my hands. He LIKES vinegar!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.