PDA

View Full Version : Injury Guinea Pig Leg Injury

Whitebeard
05-11-16, 12:47 am
Hey guys, this morning I decided to play around with my pigs before I get ready but I noticed that one of my guinea pigs is kind of limping. I took her out and tried to see what was going on and when she walked she was limping. I researched it online on what could have happened its either that she lacks Vitamin C or she has a spinal injury. My other guinea pig who was younger keeps humping her from time to time. I know that humping means that she is trying to take the dominance but I guess it doesn't work. My other guinea pig who is currently injured doesn't really care about hierarchy and she is too nice. She doesn't fight back and she is a gentle giant. My other guinea pig tries from time to time then she gives up for a couple weeks then try again. It never seems to end. So I'm not sure what to do. I can't go to the vet because my parents doesn't really have the money right now. I tried separating the two. HELP PLEASE!

bpatters
05-11-16, 07:53 am
She could also have injured a paw. Gently feel all her paws and gently extend all her legs and move them a bit and see if she reacts. If she doesn't try to run when the other one is humping her, I'd just watch her carefully for a day or so and see if she improves. If she does try to scramble out of the way of the other one, I'd separate her in a small area and give her time to improve. Be sure to keep that small area clean so she doesn't develop problems from sitting in her own waste.

That's what to do if it's a paw or leg injury, but not if it's a vitamin C deficiency. How old is she? What exactly does she get to eat? What kind of hay? What brand of pellets, and how many per day? What veggies, and how much of each?

Unless you've got a ramp she could have fallen off of or someone has dropped her, I doubt it's a spinal injury.

Whitebeard
05-11-16, 03:27 pm
She could also have injured a paw. Gently feel all her paws and gently extend all her legs and move them a bit and see if she reacts. If she doesn't try to run when the other one is humping her, I'd just watch her carefully for a day or so and see if she improves. If she does try to scramble out of the way of the other one, I'd separate her in a small area and give her time to improve. Be sure to keep that small area clean so she doesn't develop problems from sitting in her own waste.

That's what to do if it's a paw or leg injury, but not if it's a vitamin C deficiency. How old is she? What exactly does she get to eat? What kind of hay? What brand of pellets, and how many per day? What veggies, and how much of each?

Unless you've got a ramp she could have fallen off of or someone has dropped her, I doubt it's a spinal injury.

I believe she is 5 years old and I been massaging her legs and giving her lots of water and vitamin C. I noticed that it's not only her left leg but its both of back legs that she can't move. When I hold her legs it was shaking and when I try to both pull and stretch her legs she gives this little scream of pain. She eats a lot of timothy hay all the time, we give her wild harvest pellets, and we give her multiple fruits every day.

bpatters
05-11-16, 03:58 pm
If it's both legs, and with the diet you've been feeding her, she probably has scurvy.

Wild Harvest Guinea Pig food is about the worst you can buy. She needs a plain timothy pellet, no seeds or nuts or colored bits. She needs a vegetable source of vitamin C. Like people, guinea pigs can't manufacture their own, so they have to get it from food. Bell peppers are the best source of vitamin C. She also needs leafy greens, such as red or green leaf lettuce.

She does not need multiple fruits per day. Guinea pigs are not designed to process sugar. It doesn't occur in their natural diets, and their digestive systems don't handle it well. It upsets the bacterial balance in the gut, and can lead to severe, even fatal, digestive problems.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/22156-READ-ME-Cavy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what she can eat, and how often.

You should get some plain vitamin C. You can probably find Vita Drops Vitamin C at a pet store, or you can get a plain children's chewable vitamin C. Even a plain adult vitamin C tablet will do. Give her 100 mg per day for a week, then cut back to about 50 mg. per day. Don't give the higher dosage longer than a week -- it can cause problems when you discontinue it. Post back here if you have any questions about how to give it.